No announcement yet.

Gave up my season tixx today :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I've had my Sat plan since '86. The seats have improved over the yrs to Loge res.,sec 10 , near the front. Wonder if I'll have the opportunity to get a similar plan at the new place (that works out to about 4 full seasons of tix !!)

Comment

Originally posted by Bay Ridge Dave View Post
      The Wilpons must think that only REAL Mets fan have more disposable income, from what I see...
      Its business Dave. They put Santana or Bedard on the team, we are still not thrilled about the price hike, but we will care a little less. Fact is, whether they add quality to the team or not, these prices will still continually go up.

Kind of like this deli I used to work at. A ham and cheese hero cost $5.50, so what did the owner do? He substituted Boars Head for some cheaper ham and still raised the price to $6.50 per hero. He made more coin right off the bat, but eventually people started bitching and stopped coming in.
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Almost Famous

I sleep underneath a picture that I keep of you next to me
      I realize we're magnetized - WILCO

Comment

Never been a big spender on tickets, but I have been getting seven (six) packs for the past 8 seasons. This year I'll probably just go to a few individual games, if that. I too live in Jersey and it takes a good hour and multiple trains to get to Shea. The Mets have shown me absolutely nothing to justify the $180-200 bucks and all the hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by Rey-YES View Post
          What are they doing that's different from the owners of the Knicks/Rangers, Devils, Islanders, Jets, Giants, Devils, and Yankees?
          here's my theory on this: i don't care. i've never been a football, hockey or basketball game and don't believe i will any time soon. i no more care about the rise in their prices as i do price increases at the opera or broadway plays.
          the point is that a 20% increase in mets tickets is all i'm concerned with and at some point that is going to keep some people away

Comment

Originally posted by uphill struggle View Post
            here's my theory on this: i don't care. i've never been a football, hockey or basketball game and don't believe i will any time soon. i no more care about the rise in their prices as i do price increases at the opera or broadway plays.
            the point is that a 20% increase in mets tickets is all i'm concerned with and at some point that is going to keep some people away
            You're absolutely right in what you say, except that it's an "average" of 20%, with higher-price (mostly corporate) seats going up more, "cheap" seats less. And no one's mentioned that for a large # of games (36??) there will be $5 tixx sold.

As you say, it's supply/demand, and if the prices go too high attendance will drop.
            TPFKABM

Comment

And no one's mentioned that for a large # of games (36??) there will be $5 tixx sold.
              And how many are those are games one can actually go to without having to cut out of school or work (weekends), and are the opponents any good?

Comment

And how many are those are games one can actually go to without having to cut out of school or work (weekends), and are the opponents any good?
                Now you are getting into the territory of Major League Baseball, not the Mets. They do not make up their schedule to their benefit and ask the rest of the teams to fall in line.

The system is broken across the board, at least that is what everyone thinks, and yet professional sports teams continue to sell out and draw crowds.

People actually ATTEND Knicks games.

It is a supply and demand system, that is just the way it goes.

Comment

Now you are getting into the territory of Major League Baseball, not the Mets. They do not make up their schedule to their benefit and ask the rest of the teams to fall in line.
                  Yeah, but the METS control what is a "$5" game, and which is not...

Comment

Sure and there is no way in hell if you or I were responsible for making money to pay our employeed staff (not just the players but everyone esle who works for the organization) that we would be choosing Yankees and Phillies games as $5 games across the board.

But one thing is certain they cannot shoot themselves in the foot to make as many $5 tickets available as possible.

Listen no one has to convince me that pro-sports and entertainment is overpriced. I came to the realization in 1999 and 2000 when I was still living in Manhattan attending dozens of Mets games a year. Sometimes I paid, sometimes I had freebies through connections. But those two years cemented in me that "traveling" to Queens to hang out at that stadium, with the people that were there, is not really a great value experience.

After attending game 5 of the 2000 World Series, which I never would have gotten to without connections from my brother, a Yankee fan, who easily could have hoarded the tickets himself, I realized that sports in New York was no longer an experience. It was a business expense and isolation chamber of hangers on and front runner star fu(kers who just wanted to "be seen".

Somewhat creepily I got more humanly warm feelings in 2006 by attending NO playoff games as I live 3 hours from Shea with good traffic, watching in my basement and occassionally logging on to the MoFo.

So, I am not saying it does not suck that the tickets cost more, and "real double headers" are a thing of the long forgotten past, but it is a reality that is not changing any time soon until the economy collapses, because otherwise there are always enough sheeple.

Comment

Of course they do. They're a business, not a charity. But how many tixx at that price are offered by the Knicks, Rangers, Giants, Jets, Yankees, or even your local movie theater?

If Macy's decides to sell some shirts at 50% off, who decides which shirts to put in the group? If you clean out your closet and give some of your jackets away, who decides which ones?

The point is that you can go to almost HALF of the Mets home games for $5.
                      And I don't know of any other ML team where that's true.
                      TPFKABM

Comment

Of course they do. They're a business, not a charity. But how many tixx at that price are offered by the Knicks, Rangers, Giants, Jets, Yankees, or even your local movie theater?

If Macy's decides to sell some shirts at 50% off, who decides which shirts to put in the group? If you clean out your closet and give some of your jackets away, who decides which ones?

to agree with bill, it's basically the same way any movie before 5 pm is half price. it's a way to get people in the seats that arent in the seats.

Comment

Padres

You can go to ALL of the games at Petco for $5 each...it's called "Park at the Park," a little grassy area behind the CF fence where the game is shown on a big screen.

The quirk that not many people know about (including myself, until I asked while I was out there last year) is that you can actually walk around the ENTIRE STADIUM with one of those $5 tickets, stopping to watch the game at various points along the way...the only catch is that you don't have a seat to sit in.
                          Outfield

Comment

I renewed today. I paid the $201 balance and I did it.

I spent quite some time going over the pros and cons and at the end of the day the following things occured to me.

This is one of the few things I buy for myself at all, and while I have the money now, I likely wont when I get married/buy my first house within the next few years.

Quality time with Bro, we had a good time with our sat pack last season.

Last season at Shea, lots of good memories and the team should still be a very good one.

I'll hold out hope that they offer partial plans, although at this moment I am a bit skeptical.

So call me crazy, I did it...and I am happy about it.
                            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Almost Famous

I sleep underneath a picture that I keep of you next to me
                            I realize we're magnetized - WILCO

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                              Padres

You can go to ALL of the games at Petco for $5 each...it's called "Park at the Park," a little grassy area behind the CF fence where the game is shown on a big screen.

The quirk that not many people know about (including myself, until I asked while I was out there last year) is that you can actually walk around the ENTIRE STADIUM with one of those $5 tickets, stopping to watch the game at various points along the way...the only catch is that you don't have a seat to sit in.
                              My guess is that when Citifield opens the Mets, like many others with new ballparks, will have standing room only tickets as there will be bigger concourses and places for people to stand and watch the game. If they sold similar tickets at Shea people would be on their case about them trying to squeeze even more money out of the fans.
                              NickPapagiorgio Posting Alert System (current status): Green

Comment

Originally posted by NickPapagiorgio View Post
                                My guess is that when Citifield opens the Mets, like many others with new ballparks, will have standing room only tickets as there will be bigger concourses and places for people to stand and watch the game. If they sold similar tickets at Shea people would be on their case about them trying to squeeze even more money out of the fans.
                                It should be interesting to see what happens at CBP this year after the Sillies won the division. I remember the first year of the park was mostly sellouts, but two years later you could get tickets to almost any game you wanted.
                                The 2018 Mets - making the Titanic look buoyant.

Comment

Working...
                                X