Gave up my season tixx today :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gave up my season tixx today :(

Well....thats it. My six ticket mates and I gave up our Tues/Fri plan. The cost was just too much.

Its going to be $850/year or an average of $35/ticket for the "honor" of sitting in Row I of section 3 of the Mezz. For comparison's sake, not even few years ago, $35 would get me a Mezz BOX seat. Add in parking at about $20/game and food/beer at about another $25 and you can see that I could be spending a good $500/month for these seats. Too much. WAY too much for seats of this "quality." Since we got these seats back in 2001, the overall cost of attending a game has more than doubled.

I was one of the biggest "let the market dictate pricing" guys here. And even spouted that the reduction in seats and increased demand was a good thing. I guess I just priced MYSELF out of the ballpark.

Sucks.

Originally posted by RkFast View Post
    Well....thats it. My six ticket mates and I gave up our Tues/Fri plan. The cost was just too much.

Its going to be $850/year or an average of $35/ticket for the "honor" of sitting in Row I of section 3 of the Mezz. For comparison's sake, not even few years ago, $35 would get me a Mezz BOX seat. Add in parking at about $20/game and food/beer at about another $25 and you can see that I could be spending a good $500/month for these seats. Too much. WAY too much. Since we got these seats back in 2001, the overall cost of attending a game has more than doubled.

I was one of the biggest "let the market dictate pricing" guys here. And even spouted that the reduction in seats and increased demand was a good thing. I guess I just priced MYSELF out of the ballpark.

Sucks.
    I'm tired of trudging out to Shea at these prices. Love the Mets, love baseball... but a lot of the magic is gone. It's in no small part due to the 25% seat reduction (a huge f u to the fans) and the state of the team. I'm sure I'll go to Citi Field once or twice but Wilpon can take his rotunda and rotund it up his ass.

Comment

You're gonna be disappointed when Delgado gets inspired to play hard in at least 80ish or so games!
      Your Daily Rayne Summers Moment...
      http://www.leasticoulddo.com/

Mitt Romney SUCKS.

Comment

Originally posted by KingOlerud View Post
        I'm tired of trudging out to Shea at these prices. Love the Mets, love baseball... but a lot of the magic is gone. It's in no small part due to the 25% seat reduction (a huge f u to the fans) and the state of the team. I'm sure I'll go to Citi Field once or twice but Wilpon can take his rotunda and rotund it up his ass.
        Its all ROI. If I was paying this price for a GOOD seat, a BOX seat, I would accept it. But to pay this kind of coin in that dump for a seat three rows from the top of the section? And Im not even guaranteed a seat in the new park?

Blow me.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankStylV7 View Post
          You're gonna be disappointed when Delgado gets inspired to play hard in at least 80ish or so games!
          This one's gonna stay with me all day. Hahahahahahahahahaha...

Comment

Congrats RK. I'm still on the fence. For My Sat pack the price in 2007 was $754 for 2 tickets (13 games). This year it is $959 for the same exact seats in the Mezz in row J in LF.

Granted, the schedule last season included 2 Nats and 2 Marlins games, this season the saturday schedule looks much better, since they have a pricing matrix based on the opponent, I would expect to pay slightly more, however it is another $100 per tixx for the season.

I have till 1/15 to decide, I think. If theres a Santana coming and it happens before then, I probably sign up again. My luck, the trade is approved, I buy the tixx and then Fred wont go beyond 5 years voiding the trade and I'm stuck....ugh.
            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Almost Famous

I sleep underneath a picture that I keep of you next to me
            I realize we're magnetized - WILCO

Comment

Oh...even better, for us, the Mets want an answer by next Wednesday. ANOTHER thing they are holding a gun to my head on.

**** them.

And another thing.....anyone what to venture a guess on what I paid ON GAME DAY to sit in the FIRST ROW right behind THIRD BASE for a game in Seattle's Safeco this past September?

$60.

And dont give me "but this is New York" crap. Once youre inside the park, it doesnt matter if youre in Seattle, New York, or Timbuk Two.

Comment

Kudos, man. Once I heard about the ticket price increase (and my frequent Tue/Fri pal's seats) going up almost 30% I gave up any intentions I had of chasing after a share of season tix.

After a gut-wrenching and historically bad-ending year, not to mention one year before they move into a new stadium, this has to be the ballsiest move I have ever seen by owners of a team in my life.
                http://themetsgivemeagita.com/index.html

http://www.facebook.com/groups/TheMetsGiveMeAgita/

Comment

Originally posted by Kid A View Post
                  Congrats RK. I'm still on the fence. For My Sat pack the price in 2007 was $754 for 2 tickets (13 games). This year it is $959 for the same exact seats in the Mezz in row J in LF.

Granted, the schedule last season included 2 Nats and 2 Marlins games, this season the saturday schedule looks much better, since they have a pricing matrix based on the opponent, I would expect to pay slightly more, however it is another $100 per tixx for the season.

I have till 1/15 to decide, I think. If theres a Santana coming and it happens before then, I probably sign up again. My luck, the trade is approved, I buy the tixx and then Fred wont go beyond 5 years voiding the trade and I'm stuck....ugh.
                  I'm in the same boat...my two UR seats (Sec 8) Saturday plan went up by around $50 each, to $575 for two seats for 13 games.

I'll probably end up waiting until 11:59pm on January 15th to make up my mind...the only thing keeping me from telling them to **** off right now is the CHANCE that plan-holders will be guaranteed a similar plan next year.

If 2008 weren't the last year at Shea, there's no way I'd be renewing...
                  Outfield

Comment

It's been three years since I've been to Shea. I can't afford the time and money to travel up there (drive to train station, take train to Penn Station then make way over to no. 7 line, etc.). It's 2 hours and $20+ train fare each way.

Instead I can get to Shea Stadium South in a half hour drive, pay $16 and stand in the mezzanine behind home plate and have a great view of the game. If I want an actual decent seat, it will cost me $26.

I may make it up to Citifield to check it out once, but for now I'll continue to see plenty of Met games down here in Philly.
                    The 2018 Mets - making the Titanic look buoyant.

Comment

I reupped on my Sunday plan, but I had no choice. I'm guaranteed seats at Shea's last regular season game, and I can't pass that up.
                      Baaaaaaaaa

King Sheep

2013 record in games attended: 8-7
                      2014 record in games attended: 3-3
                      2015 record in games attended: 11-3 Regular Season 4-3 Postseason
                      2016 record in games attended: 4-6
                      Next Games: Sunday July 10 vs Washington

Comment

good for you, rk.

you're not held hostage and the only way to get any message to them is to cancel.

Comment

Instead of simply depositing the renewal in the trash, cancelers should write to the team and tell them that they're not buying this year after 'X' years of going regularly and specifically tell them that the steep price increases are the reason why.

I'm under no illusion that anything will change because of it as they're counting on there being enough replacements to cover whoever opts out - and between the last year of the old stadium and anticipation for the new one they're probably right. But it still wouldn't hurt to have them hear directly from disappointed/pissed off fans. Otherwise a canceled ticket could just be someone moving out of town for all they know and as long as the new subscriptions make up for the lost ones they come out ahead and feel good while doing it.

Do yourself a favor and keep them from straying into obscenity-laden, unibomber-type screeds and you might even get a response. Or, if not, at least the satisfaction of letting them know that the reason you won't be there nearly as often (or at all) next year is directly related to their decision.

Comment

Originally posted by RkFast View Post

Its going to be $850/year or an average of $35/ticket for the "honor" of sitting in Row I of section 3 of the Mezz. For comparison's sake, not even few years ago, $35 would get me a Mezz BOX seat. Add in parking at about $20/game and food/beer at about another $25 and you can see that I could be spending a good $500/month for these seats. Too much. WAY too much for seats of this "quality." Since we got these seats back in 2001, the overall cost of attending a game has more than doubled.

Sucks.
                            Rk, sucks indeed.... but I agree with your decision. I am sure it was tough to make. As another poster said, one way to voice your displeasure is NOT to renew. Sadly, I doubt the Wilpons will be losing any sleep over it.

Comment

Good for you. I gave up on my Sunday Plan: it was just too expensive, and getting to Shea ever since I moved to NJ is a real PITA.
                              Give me your tired, your poor,
                              Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
                              The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
                              Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
                              I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

Comment

Working...
                              X