Letritz Charged With DUI, in Driver's Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nique View Post
    By the time he spends all of his money on a defense the family will not have anything left to get from this loser. Not that this can bring her back but still.
    ESPN - Woman killed in Leyritz crash had exceeded blood-alcohol limit - MLB

Leyrtiz is still a schmuck for driving drunk, but as it turns out the victim likely added to the crime.

Comment

Originally posted by 15 Day DL Alou View Post
      ESPN - Woman killed in Leyritz crash had exceeded blood-alcohol limit - MLB

Leyrtiz is still a schmuck for driving drunk, but as it turns out the victim likely added to the crime.
      Wow, how often to two drunks smash into each other? I suppose depending on the time of day, it happens more often than we think. Still, I read where this woman was simply coming home from her job as a waitress to see her loving husband and kids. I guess she stopped an had a few along the way.

As for this new info, it COULD work in favor of Leyritz. I don't know what the rules of evidence are in FL but as a prosecutor I'd try to have that evidence excluded so the jury doesn't hear it. I'd argue that it is inadmissible character evidence of the victim. I'm sure that his defense attorney would argue that it's relevant because, despite him running a red light, it could have had an impact on her reaction time.

Keep one thing in mind with a death by auto case. The Prosecution still has to prove causation. Merely because a person is drunk does not make him guilty of manslaughter. Think of it this way. If you were over the legal limit and did everything correctly and someone suddenly walked in front of your car, and even a sober person couldn't have avoided running him over, your drunkenness didn't cause his death. You'll be a DUI but acquitted of the more serious charges.

Leyritz is an ass for driving drunk, no doubt. However, we need to wait and see exactly what type of impact his drunkenness had on his driving. The running of the red light looks bad for him but there still could be other factors.

"Jerry, just remember, itís not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

nothing excuses Leyritz, but the sob story of how he robbed someone's family goes right out the window, for all we know fate would have had this fool plowing into some inoccent pack of folks had Leyritz not been equally stupid.

Comment

So if she hadn't been drinking Leyritz would have stopped at the red light? This is not his first run in with the law like this, and won't be his last if he gets off with a slap on the wrist here. He was also not supposed to be driving a car to begin with...
          "Jeff is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone who does not run every personnel decision through him."

Comment

Originally posted by MetfanBren View Post
            So if she hadn't been drinking Leyritz would have stopped at the red light?
            I guess it depends. For example, I have been sitting at a red light when it suddenly turns green and sometimes notice that some ass clearly blows the red light, long after it had been yellow. Something always tells me to not take off and take one last look. What I am saying is that someone else who was intoxicated may not have had the same reaction time and, had he/she been sober, may have been able to avoid the crash or at least minimize the damage.

As I said earlier, as the State I would try to keep this out. But I know defense attorneys and I'm just saying what they would argue. However, not knowing the particulars of this accident it's hard to say whether a judge lets it in.

He was also not supposed to be driving a car to begin with...
            True, and I think this might have more of an impact in a civil suit. Here, however, all that matters is if his conduct meets all the elements of a crime. To use an analogy, if one were out past curfew and was attacked and then killed a person in self defense, the issue would be whether he had the right right to defend himself, not whether he was breaking the law at the time by being outside.

Plus, if he gets convicted it's likely that the suspended license penalties will run concurrently and not consecutively with the death by auto. A free crime, in other words.

"Jerry, just remember, itís not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

So if she hadn't been drinking Leyritz would have stopped at the red light? This is not his first run in with the law like this, and won't be his last if he gets off with a slap on the wrist here. He was also not supposed to be driving a car to begin with...
              who the hell said that? the only relevant point is everyone was led to believe this poor woman was just minding her business coming home from a double shift of waitressing, apparently at a very "liberal" service policy restaurant.

Comment

Originally posted by 15 Day DL Alou View Post
                who the hell said that? the only relevant point is everyone was led to believe this poor woman was just minding her business coming home from a double shift of waitressing, apparently at a very "liberal" service policy restaurant.
                Well her employer should be looking at some punishment for allowing someone to drink on the job as well then. Like I said though, this was going to happen to Leyritz eventually. He was driving without a license on an all week birthday party bender. If he gets off easy he'll do it again, and I doubt the person on the other end will be drunker than he is. It's a greater good issue for people in general, even if it isn't in a courtroom...
                "Jeff is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone who does not run every personnel decision through him."

Comment

Originally posted by KingOlerud View Post
                  I can't wait. I'm looking forward to him telling us what happened to the coworkers.
                  This has nothing to do with this thread, but everytime I see that word I think it reads "cow workers". I have no idea why.

We now return you to the rest of the thread...

Comment

Well her employer should be looking at some punishment for allowing someone to drink on the job as well then. Like I said though, this was going to happen to Leyritz eventually. He was driving without a license on an all week birthday party bender. If he gets off easy he'll do it again, and I doubt the person on the other end will be drunker than he is. It's a greater good issue for people in general, even if it isn't in a courtroom...
                    Perhaps she was not on the job as originally claimed Bren. The point being everyone had drawn conclusions and exactly what Leyritz was doing, and you are too by saying he will definitely do it again.

For starters I do not think he should "get off" at all. First and foremost he should never be allowed to drive a car again. But there is as much chance of the Mets winning three consecutive world series as that ever happening.

But before we presume/assume to know that Leyritz being drunk was the cause for this woman's death some facts would be good.

I for one would like to know exactly how it was determined that Leyritz ran a red light.

Comment

Working...
                    X