Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Omar really fix this mess in an offseason???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nique
    replied
    Busyman,

Please PM me the Megamillion numbers for tomorrow. Thanks.

LOL.

Leave a comment:

replied
    To answer the thread question....NO

Leave a comment:

• Busyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Busyman View Post
    Omar shouldn't be able to fix this mess, because he should be gone.

But he won't be, so look foward to another lackadasical "F*ck you, pay us" effort from this PIECE OF SH!T FRANCHISE next year.
    Damn it.

Leave a comment:

• nique
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    Please explain to me why Alou should not be back?
    Hi Chuck, long time.

This is why.

Leave a comment:

• 86mets
    replied
    Originally posted by Shooter Mcgavin View Post
    This season is strictly on Willie. We had the division in our pocket. Willie started two rookies in must win games. Omar put together a team that was able to win division. How do you get swept by the Nationals at home, in the final week?

Gotta disagree here..Omar DID NOT PUT together a BP worthy of winning a division..with no STUD SP available at deadline..BP help was A MUST to shorten game and rest other BP arms...Omar dropped the ball at deadline..didn't cave to price..and watched BP go up in flames down the stretch...

Priority for '08 wishlist..

1. PITCHING

2. PITCHING

3. PITCHING

4. PITCHING...

see a trend here ?

STARTERS(TWO) who can go 7+ innings regularly...

Love for a #1 to come in..but we know how the grow on trees..

Pedro/Maine/Perez ONLY HOLDOVERs that should return for rotation..

Give Duque long relief/spot start role..

GET BP ARMS....closer from another team to setup for a year or two...

Only holdovers here...Wagner/Feliciano...with another look at Smith..

I do see what Castillo wants..still can be an asset/contributor on this team..he performed well on one leg...imagine when fully healthy..

Alou returns..and Milledge/Gomez/Chavez all compete for RF depending on who STAYS as i hope an ACE can be acquired in PKG using one of these OF's....

Bench

Marlon: NO BRAINER..

Gotay: Yes...

OF whoever loses OF battle(likely Endy)

rest an be filled in ..

Leave a comment:

• Busyman
    replied
    Omar shouldn't be able to fix this mess, because he should be gone.

But he won't be, so look foward to another lackadasical "F*ck you, pay us" effort from this PIECE OF SH!T FRANCHISE next year.

Leave a comment:

• KingOlerud
    replied
    Can Omar really fix this mess?

He won't fix it. For him it isn't broke. Just a few more white people to usher out the door. Lo Duca. Gone. Glavine. Gone. Green. Gone. How long is it gonna be before David Wright gets the hint?

Leave a comment:

• Led, the Revenge
    replied
    I agree with pretty much everything Hat said except for a few things. Keep Alou. He'll probably only play half a season again, but let Gomez earn the spot - he's far too raw to be given it for starting day and he'll get his time with Alou's DL trips and Beltrans dips in %. Duque I was all for keeping, but only if they lock up 1-4 first AND add other depth - he ended up being massively important and vanished at crunch time again, it's foolish for a team to rely upon that.

I don't even want Mota trying for the final spot. Dump him. Now.

I also expect Maine and Perez to improve a bit further still, especially Maine who has now logged a full season in the bigs at last - should be much stronger down the stretch.

As far as Willie, I'm ambivilant. His main positive in '05 and '06 was the respect he held and that the players played hard for him. He seemed to totally lose them this year, so I'm not worried if he gets canned to be honest. He's not to blame, not by a long shot (see Minayas bullpen for culprit number one) but the attitude the players (outside of a few) had was a big contributing factor down the stretch.

Minaya needs to be taking some heat here too.

Leave a comment:

• MrHat
    replied
    I keep the whole coaching staff. Say what you will about Willie and Peterson, but I think both of those guys have had a positive impact on this team. Does anyone believe Maine and Perez are as good as they are without Rick?

Willie had complete control of this team in 05 and 06 whatever happened this year I say they have to give him another to fix it.

Position players:

LoDuca - Gone. I dont even care that there's not a great catching market. He's old and declining. Likely they'll be stuck with some no-hit all D catcher. So be it. Jose Molina comes to mind right off the bat. I wouldnt be surprised if the Giants want to dump Benji or the O's Robert Hernandez on the cheap either.

Delgado - they're not going to trade him. Hope he bounces back

Castillo - Gone. Again a month ago I said I'd take him back, today forget it. Time to go in a different direction. I don't think Gotay is the everyday answer, but bring back Anderson and Easley and I'd feel comfortable about letting the best guy take the job.

Reyes - Was having an MVP type season until Rickey got here and Downs left. I think the steals burnt him out. Not giving up on the kid at 24.

Wright - D is the last phase of his game. Outside of that he's the best pure player the Mets have had since Fonzie's 00 season.

Green - Nice April...Nice Sept. Cya. Its Thrilledge time.

Beltran - Look he's soft, but the guy is a good player.

Alou - On the fence. A month ago, I said bring him back. I think the guy is a great player, but it might be time to force change for the sake of change in this case. Milledge in LF and Gomez in RF. I know Gomez can't hit, but I'm willing to throw him out there with F-Mart waiting in the wings.

I doubt the Mets have the chips to make any major moves on O. I'd be all over Bay if the Pirates are dumb enough to want to move him.

Bench:

Castro - Sure. He's not a starter tho. If someone wants to give him starting cash, cya.

Anderson - Bring back

Endy - 1 more year of Arb I believe.

Easley - Bring him back.

Conine is going to retire. Grab some veteran OFers to bring into camp.

Starters:

Pedro - Welcome back Petey. Mets need ya for a full 30

Glavine - I was all for bringing him back until today. Now forget it. 1 game has never done so much to change my opinion of a guy. Hell I wanted Kenny Rogers back after 99....

Perez - Learning, growing. I expect big things

Maine - see Perez. He struggled down the stretch, but IMO it was the innings. The guy has guts.

El Duque - Injury machine, but he's money in NY. He's let this team down by getting hurt each of the last 2 years, but I think he's going to be too valuable once again to just get rid of. At 6 mil he's a bargin.

Pelfrey - About the earliest I've ever given up on a rookie. Kid has no idea what he's doing out there anymore. I dunno if its Boras or Peterson or just himself, but he's never going to cut it in NY IMO. Surprisingly people still have good things to say about him, trade him for that changes.

Humber - Sorry not impressed. Never have been. He was supposed to be Zito-esque with the dominating hook and a nice fastball....well its true...only I dont think its the 00 version of Zito. I wouldnt give him away, but you figure the Mets can get some value for him and Pelf packaged together.

Bullpen:

Sele - lol

Mota - If he's back in any form other than competing for the last reliever spot, I've lost all faith in Omar

Heilman - Time for a trade. Not going to ***** if he's back, but I think its time to stop holding onto him as if he's a dominating reliever. He's good, but not great.

Schoensuck - Mets wont be able to trade em. Close your eyes and maybe he'll get hurt.

Smith - an offseason and some rest will do wonders IMO

Feliciano - see Smith.

Wagner - hick is here to stay for better or for worse.

Omar needs to get back to what he did in 05 and 06 to make the pen. I know we all cursed while the Manny Aybars and Jorge Julio's of the world sucked it up, but it led to better pens. This is a position where you can clearly throw a bunch of veteran bodies at it and eventually sort something out.

We'll hear a ton of Santana and Oswalt rumors, but I doubt anything happens on this front. I think where the real possibility exists is Willis. While I know this will get a bunch of people to groan, I think he'd be a good fit. He's had a terrible year, but in NY I think it would change, much like it did for El Duque. Just as important this is a guy that goes out and throws 220 innings a year and averages around 7 per start. Definitely not an ace, but I think he'd fit in well on the staff as a whole.

Leave a comment:

• Green Must Go
    replied
    I think Jacket did the best he could with the garbage in the pen. They were able to accomplish a lot with smoke and mirrors in the first half. But eventually the bandaids fell off and exposed the level of talent in the bullpen, with disastrous results. If the Mets had just one servicable pitcher in the pen that could eat innings, they would have wrapped up the division weeks ago.

Leave a comment:

• Kid A
    replied
    Originally posted by Led, the Revenge View Post
    Not me, I'm still high on Peterson. He's worked with what was still workable. He can't turn complete turds into gold, and Omar gave him one giant steaming turd for a bullpen. The impact he has had on Perez, turning him from a guy that posted two 6+ ERA seasons into a guy that is one step from being a bonafide ace in the space of a season, is HUGE. Maine imploded in the second half, but it's his first full season and anyone who doesn't feel good about him going forward is only happy with perfection from youth. He was also responsible for Feliciano who overall has been a good, reliable lefty the last two seasons. He's not going to be able to fix everyone, but he's had some big positives for the Mets.
    Agreed. Cant believe I forgot about Feliciano in my long winded, drunken, drivle.

Keith always says that the cream always rises to the top. There's just not a hell of a lot of cream in that bullpen.

Leave a comment:

• Led, the Revenge
    replied
    Originally posted by Kid A View Post
    I find it laughable, how every ****ing person here would have licked Peterson's balls up and down until around June 6th.

He's made plenty of chicken salad out of chicken **** since he's been here.

Joe Smith - wasnt going to get by on that delivery forever, not with 83 MPH stuff.

Burgos - Had some promising outings but got injured. He failure is on Omar, for trading a starter to get him.

Mota - no juice, no good. He was crap in cleveland, he is crap again.

Schoenweies - bad spelling aside, he was horrendous at Shea, good on the road, and good lately.

Heilman - I still like him, think that his usage needs to be more consistant. I think his failures stem from Willies usage of Mota over him in the important spots in the late innings.

Sanchez - not much you can do about that fat bastard not conditioning himself to be ready for ST.

All in all, I blame Willie for the poor bullpen. He couldnt manage one to save his life.

Peterson got Glavine to unVag himself and be more than effective, more than servicable.

Perez, say what you will about his ups and downs, but the downs were in fact DOWN this year, and he misses lots of swinging bats. Right now he is only as good as his last start to most of us.

Maine, incredible 1st 1/2, not so great in the 2nd, Until today...His issues? Nope not Peterson, dead arm, endurance, not something Peterson can teach or preach, something that comes with time and experience.

Pelfrey, needs work, is raw and hasnt pitched many innings, anywhere. To soon to judge on him. Humber the same.

We got several good to great Sosa Starts, several good Sosa pen appearences.

El Duque - if peterson get credit for everyones sucktitude, young and old, he gets credit for a good El Duque season.

So its not one persons fault here, but Omar really cant and shouldnt be throwing 6-7 projects at Peterson per year.
    Not me, I'm still high on Peterson. He's worked with what was still workable. He can't turn complete turds into gold, and Omar gave him one giant steaming turd for a bullpen. The impact he has had on Perez, turning him from a guy that posted two 6+ ERA seasons into a guy that is one step from being a bonafide ace in the space of a season, is HUGE. Maine imploded in the second half, but it's his first full season and anyone who doesn't feel good about him going forward is only happy with perfection from youth. He was also responsible for Feliciano who overall has been a good, reliable lefty the last two seasons. He's not going to be able to fix everyone, but he's had some big positives for the Mets.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck
    replied
    Originally posted by nique View Post
    I think there will be a major change. When you are the organization that is responsible for one of the biggest collapses in sports, you cannot bring back the same cast of characters the next year.

Duque and Alou should not be here next year. Under no circumstances.
    Please explain to me why Alou should not be back?

Leave a comment:

• Kid A
    replied
    I find it laughable, how every ****ing person here would have licked Peterson's balls up and down until around June 6th.

He's made plenty of chicken salad out of chicken **** since he's been here.

Joe Smith - wasnt going to get by on that delivery forever, not with 83 MPH stuff.

Burgos - Had some promising outings but got injured. He failure is on Omar, for trading a starter to get him.

Mota - no juice, no good. He was crap in cleveland, he is crap again.

Schoenweies - bad spelling aside, he was horrendous at Shea, good on the road, and good lately.

Heilman - I still like him, think that his usage needs to be more consistant. I think his failures stem from Willies usage of Mota over him in the important spots in the late innings.

Sanchez - not much you can do about that fat bastard not conditioning himself to be ready for ST.

All in all, I blame Willie for the poor bullpen. He couldnt manage one to save his life.

Peterson got Glavine to unVag himself and be more than effective, more than servicable.

Perez, say what you will about his ups and downs, but the downs were in fact DOWN this year, and he misses lots of swinging bats. Right now he is only as good as his last start to most of us.

Maine, incredible 1st 1/2, not so great in the 2nd, Until today...His issues? Nope not Peterson, dead arm, endurance, not something Peterson can teach or preach, something that comes with time and experience.

Pelfrey, needs work, is raw and hasnt pitched many innings, anywhere. To soon to judge on him. Humber the same.

We got several good to great Sosa Starts, several good Sosa pen appearences.

El Duque - if peterson get credit for everyones sucktitude, young and old, he gets credit for a good El Duque season.

So its not one persons fault here, but Omar really cant and shouldnt be throwing 6-7 projects at Peterson per year.

Leave a comment:

• MajorRanger35
    replied
    Originally posted by Shooter Mcgavin View Post
    This season is strictly on Willie. We had the division in our pocket. Willie started two rookies in must win games. Omar put together a team that was able to win division. How do you get swept by the Nationals at home, in the final week?
    Sigh. No. The irony here, of course, is that you were one of the ones telling some of us that we needed perspective when we wanted Randolph gone a month ago after a dumb, Steamboat-fueled loss.

Look, I want Willie gone as much as anyone else on the board, but Omar needs to remember that Willie is what he is -- a baseball manager. This team needs another starter or two and a massive, massive, massive overhaul in the bullpen.

I'd like to see Randolph canned, but only in addition to fixing the pitching problems on this team. Entirely blaming Randolph for the collapse is as misguided as giving Randolph all of the credit for the division last year. If Omar blames Randolph for the debacle and doesn't improve the pitching, the bullpen will blow 2008 no matter who's steering the ship.

Priority list:

1. Bullpen
    2. Rotation
    3. Randolph

I'd like to see them all get fixed, but #1 and #2 are more important than #3. Omar had better not lose sight of that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X