X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NeilAllen
    replied
    Originally posted by NeilAllen View Post
    Looking over the forum earlier this week to get caught up on what I missed here over the weekend I gotta say this thread was my favorite find. I still love how Bill, the man who regularly trashes Keith and makes references to Piazza's ego can continue to get misty-eyed at the thought of Steve Freaking Trachsel (of all people) in another uniform. It never gets old.

The man's a treasure. Rey please don't ever even THINK about leaving again.

*sob*

Leave a comment:

• Wally Backman
    replied
    The circle is complete

Leave a comment:

• Green Must Go
    replied
    LMAO! I was wondering how part II of this thread already had 193 posts.

Leave a comment:

• Deepleft34
    replied
    Just feel like bumping 9 month old threads to see that some people defending Willie, with really no good explanation other than "Omar should go". Has nothing changed?

Leave a comment:

• Rey-YES
    replied
    Originally posted by Bay Ridge Dave View Post
    today's player doesn't listen.
    There always have been (and always will be) players, especially at the ML level, who don't listen. But there are also former players who were great on the field, and intelligent about the game, who don't have the patience, desire or ability to TEACH.

Ted Williams, arguably the greatest hitter of all time, was a miserable failure as coach/manager. Charlie Lau, a decent but not great hitter, was widely respected as coach. Rick Peterson couldn't make the bigs as a pitcher, but is arguably at the top of all ML PCs.

Some of the most successful mgrs in MLB, past and present---Ron Gardenhire, Sparky Anderson and Walter Alston come to mind---were marginal at best as players.

Keith, like Tim McCarver, is very knowledgeable about the game, and able to explain the intricacies of it on the air. But neither wants to do it on the field, and without that burning desire and work ethic neither would likely be successful as coaches.

Leave a comment:

• Green Must Go
    replied
    Originally posted by 15 Day DL Alou View Post
    or to a view where when you are wrong the worst thing that happens is you have another broadcast tomorrow, other than looney birds like Mushnik and Raismann who when losing credibility on covering sports have gone to tearing apart the guys who call games, there is really no negative to being an announcer.

unless of course you are Tom McCarthy and you become an unintended cult hero of the mofo.
    Cult hero - LMAO!

Leave a comment:

• 15 Day DL Alou
    replied
    I don't know if it is that severe, Hernandez has been frank that "HE" doesn't think he could work with them, sort of suggesting he would be equally stubborn in the opposite direction.

Frankly this last three weeks will say a lot about Pinella in my opinion. I do not think his style will help the Cubs at all.

Leave a comment:

• Bay Ridge Dave
    replied
    I can pick out a hitters weak spot, that does not mean I can convince them they are doing something they need to change. And before anyone say Keith Hernandez can, this is the very reason he said he has no interest in coaching today. He could barely tolerate the younger players coming up in his waning years and has said he could absolutely not deal with the players of today.

Leave a comment:

• 15 Day DL Alou
    replied
    Originally posted by Green Must Go View Post
    He'd rather stick to hair coloring product endorsements.
    or to a view where when you are wrong the worst thing that happens is you have another broadcast tomorrow, other than looney birds like Mushnik and Raismann who when losing credibility on covering sports have gone to tearing apart the guys who call games, there is really no negative to being an announcer.

unless of course you are Tom McCarthy and you become an unintended cult hero of the mofo.

Leave a comment:

• Green Must Go
    replied
    I can pick out a hitters weak spot, that does not mean I can convince them they are doing something they need to change. And before anyone say Keith Hernandez can, this is the very reason he said he has no interest in coaching today. He could barely tolerate the younger players coming up in his waning years and has said he could absolutely not deal with the players of today.
    He'd rather stick to hair coloring product endorsements.

Leave a comment:

• 15 Day DL Alou
    replied

Leave a comment:

• freakzilla11
    replied
    He is very adept at dissecting a hitter's weak spots...
    I agree. Just ask him, he'll tell you the same.

Leave a comment:

• Rey-YES
    replied
    Originally posted by LAS VEGAS DAVE View Post
    Hitting Coach
    He wouldn't even consider it, unless he's changed his mind recently. He doesn't want any kind of full-time job, which is why he's not on all the SNY telecasts. And the hours and hours of work that being a HC requires would be far more taxing than the announcing job.

Leave a comment:

• Bay Ridge Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by LAS VEGAS DAVE View Post
    Hitting Coach
    Agreed. He is very adept at dissecting a hitter's weak spots...

Leave a comment:

• LAS VEGAS DAVE
    replied
    Originally posted by The Flower Of Life View Post
    Which coach? Bench coach? Hitting coach? Pitching coach?

(Keith couldn't be manager, he barely pays attention and even though I love the guy, he's not the brightest cookie in the jar...seriously)
    Hitting Coach

Leave a comment:

Working...
X