The Fire Willie Thread Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MajorRanger35 View Post
    No, Willie had better players than the managers before him. That's why he wins. I said it in Part I of this thread, and I'll say it again: this isn't football. Willie isn't Bill ****ing Belichick. This team wins because it has good players, and if you stick a Lou Pinella type at the helm, it wins even more. They may be a winning team, but they're not playing up to potential. That's the manager's fault.
    here ya go with the football references again, at least if you are going to go that way make that one makes sense, Bill Belicheck could not coach his way out of a paper bag until 2001.

AND Lou Piniella, that genious not done **** but keep the Shrubs 3 games above .500
    Last edited by 15 Day DL Alou; 08-30-2007, 05:52 PM.

Comment

A little note about Wagner and Heilman. Even though Wagner's been "Scuffling," lately, the Phillies have eaten feelings for breakfast all season. Wagner had a 1.42 ERA against them coming into the game, compared to Erin's whopping 12.27 mark. Asking her to get three outs would have been a tall order...
      "Jeff is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone who does not run every personnel decision through him."

Comment

I am not saying Willie needs to be fired but he really doesn't know how to manage the pen. No way you can tell me that with Wagner up to almost 50 pitches that he shouldn't have had a back up plan. Yes closer was first choice but when you see he is in trouble you can not have no one ready to go in case. Also not that at this point it is a bad thing but did we just lose Wag's for at least 1st two games against Braves after throwong so many pitches?

Comment

Originally posted by 15 Day DL Alou View Post
          here ya go with the football references again, at least if you are going to go that way make that one makes sense, Bill Belicheck could not coach his way out of a paper bag until 2001.
          Tell that to Bill Parcells. It's funny how Parcells' genius wore off when he got to Dallas. Maybe he was missing something.

My point about football is this: in football, the coaches matter. There's a tight salary cap. There are no Royals or Yankees. The difference between any two teams is its front office. This is the #1 reason that New England has a dynasty.

In baseball, the coaches barely make a difference. If I stuck a random MoFoite, a 15 Day DL Alou, for example, at the helm of the 2006-2007 Mets, I'd wager you still finish over .500. Win the division? Probably not. But you'll still be decent enough to be a winning manager.

If I make you the head coach of the Jets or Giants, you'll be lucky to win one game. Do you understand my point now?
          My bone bruise is only at 79.52%.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
            I am not saying Willie needs to be fired but he really doesn't know how to manage the pen. No way you can tell me that with Wagner up to almost 50 pitches that he shouldn't have had a back up plan. Yes closer was first choice but when you see he is in trouble you can not have no one ready to go in case. Also not that at this point it is a bad thing but did we just lose Wag's for at least 1st two games against Braves after throwong so many pitches?
            He would have had to have someone warming up for the next inning anyway since the best they were doing was going to extra innings.
            The 2018 Mets - making the Titanic look buoyant.

Comment

Tell that to Bill Parcells. It's funny how Parcells' genius wore off when he got to Dallas. Maybe he was missing something.

My point about football is this: in football, the coaches matter. There's a tight salary cap. There are no Royals or Yankees. The difference between any two teams is its front office. This is the #1 reason that New England has a dynasty.

In baseball, the coaches barely make a difference. If I stuck a random MoFoite, a 15 Day DL Alou, for example, at the helm of the 2006-2007 Mets, I'd wager you still finish over .500. Win the division? Probably not. But you'll still be decent enough to be a winning manager.

If I make you the head coach of the Jets or Giants, you'll be lucky to win one game. Do you understand my point now?
              What's amazing is that Willie has an entourage of coaches that help him. Does he ignore them or are they all morons?
              The 2018 Mets - making the Titanic look buoyant.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post

The guy just had to take a day off because of a tired arm and has been awful the last 3 weeks so Willie tries to make him go 2 innings for the 1st time all year. genious I tell ya.
                “President Obama is a personal friend of mine,” said Rickles. “He was over to the house yesterday, but the mop broke.”

It's early!!!

Be the kind of person that when your feet hit the floor each morning liberals say "Oh crap he's up"

Comment

Originally posted by MetfanBren View Post
                  Interesting. He did put in what was thought to be a ridiculous bid ($41 mill) on Dice-K, only to have the Red Sox make and even more ridiculous one ($52 mill). Of course most people would have freaked out if they did have the high bid, but it could also have been a huge factor this season. Not only would he have been a very good/very good starter most of the time, but he would have spared us the torture of the #5 (Pelfrey, Lawrence, Sosa). And at least he didn't panic and outbid the Yankees on Igawa because of it...

He also offered Zito 5/$75 mill, with the understanding that he'd go higher on money but not on years. How's that working out for all the people who said he should have been signed at all costs, which would have the Mets on the hook for $116 million until 2013 right now...

Other than that I'm not sure what he could have done, and I don't see anyone offering alternatives either. But what else is new?
                  Contreras?
                  Wells?
                  L. Herenandez?
                  Garland?

All could have been had during the season.

He could have parted with Milledge during this past off-season to get:
                  Blanton
                  Haren
                  Jennings
                  possibly even Willis
                  "Goaltender is a normal job. Sure. How would you like it if at your job, every time you made the slightest mistake a little red light went on over your head and 18,000 people stood up and screamed at you?" - Jaques Plante, goalie

Comment

Yes I understand your point now, you have an overly hyped opinion of football coaches vs. other sports, particularly baseball, did by any chance you get a sniff of the stellar job Bill B did in Cleveland?

Comment

Dont talk about my Cowboys although they didn't win any playoff games under Parcels the team is ten times better now then when he first arrived

Comment

Originally posted by Deepleft34 View Post
                        Contreras?
                        Wells?
                        L. Herenandez?
                        Garland?

All could have been had during the season.

He could have parted with Milledge during this past off-season to get:
                        Blanton
                        Haren
                        Jennings
                        possibly even Willis
                        The only pitcher you named there worth 2 shits is Haren who is having a break out year.

Comment

and shockingly, the Mets have won since he came, but it is all luck when they win, and Willie when they lose, you are typical New York sports fan, they call them weather vanes.
                          WRONGWRONGWRONG!!!!!

open your eyes dude.

When Willie arrived, so did the players with the pedigrees to win.
                          Carlos Beltran in his prime
                          David Wright came into his own
                          Jose Reyes came into his own
                          Pedro Martinez
                          Paul LoDuca
                          Carlos Delgado

If Booby V had any of those players on his 2000 WS team roster....any of them...he wins the WS. Instead he came a couple of games short with an OF of Agbayani, Payton and Shinjo. Wake the fu(k up man.
                          "Goaltender is a normal job. Sure. How would you like it if at your job, every time you made the slightest mistake a little red light went on over your head and 18,000 people stood up and screamed at you?" - Jaques Plante, goalie

Comment

The only pitcher you named there worth 2 shits is Haren who is having a break out year.
                            yes, because you would rather none of those pitchers over:

Brian Lawrence
                            Claudio Vargas
                            Chan Ho Park
                            Dave Williams
                            and the not ready for prime time Mike Pelfrey.

Comment

Originally posted by Deepleft34 View Post
                              WRONGWRONGWRONG!!!!!

open your eyes dude.

When Willie arrived, so did the players with the pedigrees to win.
                              Carlos Beltran in his prime
                              David Wright came into his own
                              Jose Reyes came into his own
                              Pedro Martinez
                              Paul LoDuca
                              Carlos Delgado

If Booby V had any of those players on his 2000 WS team roster....any of them...he wins the WS. Instead he came a couple of games short with an OF of Agbayani, Payton and Shinjo. Wake the fu(k up man.
                              If Bobby was still here, we won last year, and we are winning this year. Not even a question.

Comment

The point of all this being.....

HE WAITED AND DID NOT MAKE A DEAL AND WENT WITH CRAP PITCHING BECAUSE HE FIGURED HS TEAM WOULD HAVE PEDRO AFTER THE ALL-STAR BREAK.

(Buuzer sound) Wrong answer, Johnny!

Comment

Working...
                                X