Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And everybody's got their cap to their chest...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after work snack+ delgado threads = happy onda7

I will send Omar a portion of my paychecks just to keep Delgado (and Milledge) around.
    Make America Lift Again

Comment

I thought the original post was a joke and/or sarcasm.

Comment

Originally posted by NYRomy View Post
        However, I must ask you KO, with all due respect: Why were you watching the field (While fiddling with a camera, no less) when you are supposed to be staring at the flag during the singing of the Anthem? And, wouldn't ignoring the flag during the Anthem be just as disprespectful as not hlding your cap to your heart while it is playing?
        Errrrr...Romy? "Zaprudered" = "Frame by Framed". My SNY pregame broadcast. On my TiVo. After the game.

I wasn't at the game, and what's more, I didn't have a camera.........

Comment

Originally posted by KingOlerud View Post
          Errrrr...Romy? "Zaprudered" = "Frame by Framed". My SNY pregame broadcast. On my TiVo. After the game.

Ahhh... my bad. Still, the rest of my statement/question stands. Like I've said a few dozen times over the past year, I can understand the feelings on both sides of the argument. I know I can't always stand for the Anthem, whether I be in the car or otherwise unable to. Does that place me in the same category as Carlos Delgado in your eyes? I'm trying to draw a line in the sand to see what you guys will tolerate and what you won't. Every game I've ever been to has had the same announcement prior to the singing of the anthem. "Please rise and remove your caps in honor of our country." As a ballplayer I was always taught that you should either hold the cap over your heart or stand with your cap and hands behind your back, as a measure of respect. However, all that is ever asked is the removal of caps and Delgado has done that. Do I like the idea of any player scratching his balls during the National Anthem? No. I also don't like the idea of someone perched in their ivory tower watching from the comfort of their own home tossing condemnations at someone while they, themselves, are seated during the Anthem.

So, again, I ask: Do you stand during the National Anthem while watching at home?

Not attacking your stance, I just want to see if you are as holy as you wish Delgado to be.

Comment

Not that it has anything to do with anything, but I actually DO stand in my home whenever I hear/see the national anthem before a game. I grew up under the tutelage of an ex Navy man so that's the backstory there. I don't knock those who don't, I just feel it's the least I can do.

Comment

I don't have TiVo and I'm unsure about something. Can you choose which camera angle to view, or do you just get what the network gives you?

Comment

Originally posted by NYRomy View Post
                Ahhh... my bad. Still, the rest of my statement/question stands. Like I've said a few dozen times over the past year, I can understand the feelings on both sides of the argument. I know I can't always stand for the Anthem, whether I be in the car or otherwise unable to. Does that place me in the same category as Carlos Delgado in your eyes?
                What you do in the car has absolutely nothing to do with a professional ballplayer presenting himself on the field of play during a salute to our country, its flag, or its military.

Delgado is making a statement. Still. Clinging to the words, and not the spirit, of the promise he made to the team that pays his salary. The sign of a truly despicable coward.
                So, again, I ask: Do you stand during the Nationa Anthem while watching at home?

Not attacking your stance, I just want to see if you are as holy as you wish Delgado to be.
                I don't make a point of assuming any particular position in my home when the anthem is on before a game, but I will generally stop what I am doing, to listen, think and watch.

Now...get under the surface, Romy. This isn't really about Delgado's physical position - it's about what's in his heart. Revealed by his so-called "stance" and these embarrassing passive aggressive antics. He can see where everyone standing next to him has their cap. Let's not play dumb like Floyd and act like I'm being KingOlerud, the Elbow Nazi.

He hates this country. But he loves playing his beisbol in it. He is the height of excrement. End.

Comment

Something I don't understand.

Delgado does something on his own, not disrespectful, and that mirrors the way that at least 70% of this country is thinking. But OMG it becomes news. So he is the target of absolutely vicious and hateful comments by some MOFO'ers.

Why can't you respect a top performer for having a mind of his own?

I couldn't stand John Rocker and I hated his views, but I wouldn't stoop to his level in order to criticize him. And you had to respect his talent.

Comment

Originally posted by firststringer View Post
                    I don't have TiVo and I'm unsure about something. Can you choose which camera angle to view, or do you just get what the network gives you?
                    No angles. There was a brief shot of players as the singer walked passed them and entered the field.

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckkieB View Post
                      Not that it has anything to do with anything, but I actually DO stand in my home whenever I hear/see the national anthem before a game. I grew up under the tutelage of an ex Navy man so that's the backstory there. I don't knock those who don't, I just feel it's the least I can do.
                      I do the same, when I can. I actually found myself driving to work the other night taking my hat off while listening to the game and didn't even realize I was doing it. But there are times when I cannot do that as well. Personally, I don't find it as disrespectful as others when you don't hold your cap to your heart but I won't hold it against those who feel that way. I just think that if we're going to condemn a man for his actions that we should not be guilty of those same shortcomings.

Comment

No angles. There was a brief shot of players as the singer walked passed them and entered the field.
                        So then is it safe to say that you did not see Delgado during the entire playing of the National Anthem?
                        Last edited by firststringer; 04-09-2007, 11:54 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

You know I just saw the same replay, and I could swear he rested the cap on his right thigh....

Comment

Originally posted by Bay Ridge Dave View Post
                            You know I just saw the same replay, and I could swear he rested the cap on his right thigh....
                            So, will this video get reviewed over and over again at different angles? Could there perhaps have been another culprit, hiding over on the tomato-y knoll?

Comment

Do you watch movies until the point where an actor comes on the screen who you know is a looneybin (Tom Cruise, perhaps) and then turn them off or head out of the theater?

If not, then why give a rat's patoot? It's entertainment. If we want to do a background check on every participant in every form of entertainment we enjoy, we'll all go effing nuts.

A long time ago, I watched a semi-effective thriller called "Clown House." I remember recommending it as a tense but somewhat silly film to a few friends. A few years later, I found out that the director of that film, Victor Salva, had actually molested one of the kid actors in the film while on the set, and spent a while in jail for it. What am I supposed to do, go back and un-enjoy the movie?

And if any of you have seen or enjoyed "Powder" or "Jeepers Creepers," you might want to re-consider. Because he directed those movies too. Child molester. I refuse to pay to see any of his movies, myself. Because he should be in jail or the ground rather than making millions directing movies, IMO.

If you're that disturbed by what the performers/creators are doing, don't watch. Life's too short. If you can separate certain elements, do so. There are far more productive things in this world we can do to make a difference than watching where a guy who once criticized this administration's policies holds his hat when the national anthem is playing.

-- Weezer, "Perfect Situation"... and the 2008 Mets

Comment

I must be a glutton for punishment, because I'm so inexplicably drawn to these threads.

KO, I tend to agree with you more often than not, and my general impression is that you're an intelligent person. So, I have to ask, do you really think that Delgado hates this country?

For that matter, does anyone actually believe, sarcasm aside, that Delgado hates the USA?

Comment

Working...
                                X