X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Emergency?

Great strategy or slippery slope?
    COME BY THE SCHOOL a year from now you"ll wish you started today

"they all think they’re geniuses who just happen to agree with each other. This creates a near total blindness to facts, data, and opinions that don’t line up with their worldview"

DEFENDING LIBERALISM ONE POST AT A TIME
    ​​​​​​
    Semper Fortis......De Oppresso Liber

The slope has been frozen for quite some time

According to ABC News, presidents have declared a total of 58 national emergencies since the National Emergencies Act (NEA) was first signed into law in 1976. Of those 58, 31 have been renewed on an annual basis and are therefore still in effect.
    “President Obama is a personal friend of mine,” said Rickles. “He was over to the house yesterday, but the mop broke.”

It's early!!!

Be the kind of person that when your feet hit the floor each morning liberals say "Oh crap he's up"

Comment

Customs and Border Protection reported in late November that the total enacted funds for this purpose in 2017 and 2018 were $1,716,066,065. Of that, $1,602,675,723 was obligated, and $108,695,342 was formally spent.
      Spend this first maybe, then the $1.37mm just signed?
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Almost Famous

I sleep underneath a picture that I keep of you next to me
      I realize we're magnetized - WILCO

Comment

Originally posted by METSSC View Post

According to ABC News, presidents have declared a total of 58 national emergencies since the National Emergencies Act (NEA) was first signed into law in 1976. Of those 58, 31 have been renewed on an annual basis and are therefore still in effect.
        It’s not so much the declaration of a national emergency, but the circumventing Congress and the constitution for the funds to pay for the wall. Most constitutional experts predict it will be struck down by the courts.

"they all think they’re geniuses who just happen to agree with each other. This creates a near total blindness to facts, data, and opinions that don’t line up with their worldview"

​​​​​​

Comment

(c) Expenditures during national emergency; Presidential reports to Congress

When the President declares a national emergency or Congress declares war, the President shall transmit to Congress, within ninety days after the end of each six-month period after such declaration, a report on the total expenditures incurred by the United States Government during such six-month period which are directly attributable to the exercise of powers and authorities conferred by such declaration. Not later than ninety days after the termination of each such emergency or war, the President shall transmit a final report on all such expenditures.

(Pub. L. 94–412, title IV, §401, Sept. 14, 1976, 90 Stat. 1257.)

Congress could override a declaration with a veto proof majority. Not likely. So after the 9th circuit does what they do this should quickly make its way to the supreme court where Justice Roberts will vote God knows how.
          “President Obama is a personal friend of mine,” said Rickles. “He was over to the house yesterday, but the mop broke.”

It's early!!!

Be the kind of person that when your feet hit the floor each morning liberals say "Oh crap he's up"

Comment

(c) Expenditures during national emergency; Presidential reports to Congress

When the President declares a national emergency or Congress declares war, the President shall transmit to Congress, within ninety days after the end of each six-month period after such declaration, a report on the total expenditures incurred by the United States Government during such six-month period which are directly attributable to the exercise of powers and authorities conferred by such declaration. Not later than ninety days after the termination of each such emergency or war, the President shall transmit a final report on all such expenditures.

(Pub. L. 94–412, title IV, §401, Sept. 14, 1976, 90 Stat. 1257.)

Congress could override a declaration with a veto proof majority. Not likely. So after the 9th circuit does what they do this should quickly make its way to the supreme court where Justice Roberts will vote God knows how.
            Who knows if Ginsburg will even be there for the oral arguments.

"Go suck your rabbi's c0ck, you momser." Aambler, 8/27/2008

"Now that Obama didnt pick Hil in his only chance to win, Jmac can only blow it by picking Jew Loserman." Aambler 8/28/2008

"…they could have gone to ,say Tahiti, where they would have a better place to live with nicer neighbors." Aambler, 9/2/2008

"here is a doll you can buy to jack off to." Aambler, 9/12/2008

Aambler, revealing his true colors for all but him to see.

"Aambler is a massive wanker." LTR, 1/22/2011

Comment

The house will certainly vote to override.... it will then be in the hands of the senate.

​​​​​​

Comment

How many national emergencies were declared in an effort to fund domestic construction projects, particularly ones that Congress has explicitly refused to fund?

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Shore View Post
                  The house will certainly vote to override.... it will then be in the hands of the senate.
                  2/3s in the house? No way

It's early!!!

Comment

2/3s in the house? No way
                    Override was a poor choice of words on my part. To contest the national emergency the house needs only a simple majority. It then goes to the senate where it only needs a majority.

lawmakers trusted the National Emergencies Act was being invoked in good faith. "The assumption is that presidents are going to be relatively responsible in using those authorities and resources," says UT's Vladeck, "and are not going to just create some kind of pretext to allow them to go through a back door when Congress is denying them the front door."
                    seems as though this is becoming less of a battle over a wall and more of a battle over the powers of congress and the powers of the president.
                    Last edited by Jersey Shore; 02-15-2019, 12:07 AM.

​​​​​​

Comment

How many national emergencies were declared in an effort to fund domestic construction projects, particularly ones that Congress has explicitly refused to fund?
                      I don’t know that that’s ever happened but the Pres most certainly has the authority given to him by congress to declare a national emergency. If congress doesn’t like it they can override his veto with a 2/3s vote. What would you call 20 million illegals with over 1000 more entering each and every day. From everything I’ve read he’d been on firm ground using money already appropriated for military construction projects

It's early!!!

Comment

I don’t know that that’s ever happened but the Pres most certainly has the authority given to him by congress to declare a national emergency.
                        Yes he does.
                        If congress doesn’t like it they can override his veto with a 2/3s vote.
                        after a process in the house and senate that requires a simple majority.
                        ​​​​​​What would you call 20 million illegals with over 1000 more entering each and every day.
                        another example of you wishing something was true.
                        everything I’ve read he’d been on firm ground using money already appropriated for military construction projects
                        everything i've read says the opposite. But we will eventually see whose sources are correct.

​​​​​​

Comment

Yes he does.
                          after a process in the house and senate that requires a simple majority.
                          another example of you wishing something was true.
                          everything i've read says the opposite. But we will eventually see whose sources are correct.
                          So you didn’t answer the question up you just wanna make believe it’s not the case. Last year there were over 300,000 apprehensions at the border. apprehensions. Who know how many got through that weren’t apprehended.

It's early!!!

Comment

If he had any sack, he'd call a national emergency over the debt, not the f*cking border.

Comment

So you didn’t answer the question up you just wanna make believe it’s not the case. Last year there were over 300,000 apprehensions at the border. apprehensions. Who know how many got through that weren’t apprehended.
                              I most certainly answered your question .....””what would I call.....” “. you just didn’t like it.

Hell, you don’t even believe the number you quoted. “Who knows?” obviously neither you or the president are among those who do not.

​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X