Grand military parade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand military parade

I can't tell you how much I am against this.

awesome I love it. Havent been to DC in over a decade but I will leave no stone unturned to go celebrate our military at this parade. Pray they pull it off
    “President Obama is a personal friend of mine,” said Rickles. “He was over to the house yesterday, but the mop broke.”

It's early!!!

Be the kind of person that when your feet hit the floor each morning liberals say "Oh crap he's up"

Comment

Originally posted by METSSC View Post
      awesome I love it. Havent been to DC in over a decade but I will leave no stone unturned to go celebrate our military at this parade. Pray they pull it off
      Shouldn't be on Veterans Day? Move all the pomp and circumstance from Memorial Day?
      NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
      The Batman Universe! Your source for all Batman related news and commentary
      Place To Be Nation: The Only Place To Be In Your Pop Culture World
      Twitter Baseball: @SJRMets

Comment

You know there's a reason why this type of thing has never really been part of the American tradition. We are generally supposed to be a wary of centralized power and unnecessary display of force. Take a look around the world and see what countries feel it's necessary to roll tanks through streets in grand ceremonies. Spoiler alert: they're not typically free and prosperous ones. At best, tanks in the streets are used to intimidate or provoke rivals abroad, and at worst, they're used to scare political rivals and dissidents at home.

This type of thing also costs a ton in planning, transportation, and security -- not to mention the economic opportunity costs that come with jamming up an entire American city for a day. Throw that money into the VA if you really want to honor the military. But that's not what this is about, anyway. It's about giving his base goose bumps with an essentially meaningless display of patriotism. A marionette with his puppets, Trump is.

Comment

Originally posted by defender View Post

But that's not what this is about, anyway. It's about giving his base goose bumps with an essentially meaningless display of patriotism. A marionette with his puppets, Trump is.
          Does he ever make a decision that isn't about these things?

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

Originally posted by defender View Post

You know there's a reason why this type of thing has never really been part of the American tradition. We are generally supposed to be a wary of centralized power and unnecessary display of force. Take a look around the world and see what countries feel it's necessary to roll tanks through streets in grand ceremonies. Spoiler alert: they're not typically free and prosperous ones. At best, tanks in the streets are used to intimidate or provoke rivals abroad, and at worst, they're used to scare political rivals and dissidents at home.

This type of thing also costs a ton in planning, transportation, and security -- not to mention the economic opportunity costs that come with jamming up an entire American city for a day. Throw that money into the VA if you really want to honor the military. But that's not what this is about, anyway. It's about giving his base goose bumps with an essentially meaningless display of patriotism. A marionette with his puppets, Trump is.

France did it on Bastile day which Trump attended. I think we should do ours on the 4th of July. Parade on Pennsylvania ave during the day and a huge fireworks display at night.
            “President Obama is a personal friend of mine,” said Rickles. “He was over to the house yesterday, but the mop broke.”

It's early!!!

Be the kind of person that when your feet hit the floor each morning liberals say "Oh crap he's up"

Comment

Another dumb non-story... who cares?

As to the comments that only 'bad' countries do this... you know... like France

Parades with giant spongebob floats are ok in this country but not military parades because that... 'bad'

I can't roll my eyes any harder at this 'controversy'
              I guess if liberals didn't have double standards, they wouldn't have any standards at all

Comment

France did it on Bastile day which Trump attended. I think we should do ours on the 4th of July. Parade on Pennsylvania ave during the day and a huge fireworks display at night.
                Yes, let's turn a day that has always been about freedom and rebellion into a government-issued celebration of conformity and reverence for power.

Comment

Originally posted by Shastada View Post
                  Another dumb non-story... who cares?

As to the comments that only 'bad' countries do this... you know... like France
                  Yeah because... Make America France Again, or something, right?

Also - check out that word "typically" in my statement. Thanks.

Parades with giant spongebob floats are ok in this country but not military parades because that... 'bad'

I can't roll my eyes any harder at this 'controversy'
                  This is a great point because there is such a long history of tyrants and despots rolling inflated cartoon characters down the streets.

Comment

Sure its mid-November and all, but VETERANS DAY?
                    NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                    The Batman Universe! Your source for all Batman related news and commentary
                    Place To Be Nation: The Only Place To Be In Your Pop Culture World
                    Twitter Baseball: @SJRMets

Comment

I am with Defender on this one. Standing armies marching through the streets...that's commie bullshit.
                      I just took a crap and named it muhammed -- METSSC

The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles. -- Jeff Cooper, the Art of the Rifle

Comment

Originally posted by Mule View Post
                        I am with Defender on this one. Standing armies marching through the streets...that's commie bullshit.

No, the commies will line the parade route with their derogatory placards. How do you feel about military flyovers at stadiums?

It's early!!!

Comment

No, the commies will line the parade route with their derogatory placards. How do you feel about military flyovers at stadiums?
                          I was just going to mention that. The ones at NASCAR races give me goosebumps.
                          The 2018 Mets - making the Titanic look buoyant.

Comment

Usually when I hear a flyover inbound I'm having a flashback and hoping I got the ingress bearing right on the CAS I just called in.

We're not really comparing the 8 seconds that 5 aircraft are overhead to a May Day type military stomp are we? More to the point, as Defender said, this has never been our thing, and shouldn't be a thing in a society that prizes liberty. Nations that feature these things do them for two reasons: to scare the **** out of their neighbors and their own populace. They're not celebrations of anything, and we have no need to scare anyone. We've got Mattis (who I can't imagine going along with this crazily stupid idea, btw.)
                            I just took a crap and named it muhammed -- METSSC

The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles. -- Jeff Cooper, the Art of the Rifle

Comment

The blue angel air shows? that's not an 8 second display. Mattis was asked about it at today's press briefing. His answer was something along the lines of Our president is proud of our military and wants to honor them with a parade. Weve had these in the past. The elder Bush presided over the last one

It's early!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X