Okafor or Towns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okafor or Towns

Towns is listed at 7' Okafor at 6'11" but I swear Okafor looks bigger. Both have exceptional touch around the basket Okafor seems more physical to me Towns a little more finesse. Okafor has the best hands since Wilt. Towns has the edge away from the basket, he can hit a 15 footer and is a good FT shooter, Okafor has a nice 3/4 bank shot from about 10 feet and sucks from the line.

Or you could take Russell who will be a 10 year All Star

Flip a coin
    “President Obama is a personal friend of mine,” said Rickles. “He was over to the house yesterday, but the mop broke.”

It's early!!!

Be the kind of person that when your feet hit the floor each morning liberals say "Oh crap he's up"

Keep going back and forth on this myself..and have changed mind more than once..most recent opinion..leaning ever so slightly towards Towns at the moment..can impact game in more ways than one..even if less developed..has higher upside.. I worry about a front court of Melo (subpar D) Okafor (subpar D) and Monore( subpar D and supposed top FA attainable big man target) Towns rim protection..supposed better passer...better outside shot...and better fit for TRIANGLE.. and better FT shooter too..

Russel also is tempting..but he was shut down in tourney by good defender..something he will see far more often in nab..but he would be good fit for triangle...so that the current opinion..subject to change..lol

In the end..pick may be made for Knicks..as no guarantee for top pick so they can pick who is left.
    ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Citifield & Mets...the place where Sluggers Careers go to DIE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLzr2Al_Os

Comment

I've always looked at it like this....Okafor is a guy you build a team around...Towns is a guy who you plug in and can fit anywhere.

If you draft Okafor you need to make an effort to isolate him in the post, let him have the blocks, and let him go to work. He's got the best post game in College basketball since Duncan or I'd argue Hakeem actually (He's got a bigger move set than Ducan had right out of the gate IMO and just as efficient). Tremendous touch around the basket, he's not just a brute force guy, but he can overpower when needed. He's not a bad defender...he's not subpar at all, he's just not as much of a impact as you'd hope from a 7 footer.....again he's understated in that area. I'd again compare him to Duncan. and I agree with SC he looks bigger than Towns, but I think that just because his frame is more filled out. He comes in much closer to being physically ready for the NBA than Towns does.

Personally, I like Okafur a lot better. I think the guy is a beast and a franchise changer. He's like drafting Tim Duncan...I think he walks in as a rookie and can be 20/10 player......BUT does Phil want that? Does he want to let a rookie take the reigns of the franchise? Who does Phil have his eyes set on in FA? You can't get Okafor if you're looking at say Love. I think that also rules out Monroe who's been heavily rumored to the Knicks. Between him and Anthony you're not going to get enough room/time/touches in the post for those 3 guys....it'll be another Amare'/Melo mess.

So I think Phil is going to look more at Towns, which unfortunately keeps this team built around Melo and he'll look to plug in guys from there. It allows him flexibility where if he gets a franchise FA player he can set him up and Towns fits in because of his strong D and jump shot. He can be very good I just don't see him ever being a dominating offensive force. Towns is not and will not ever be Anthony Davis offensively.

Russel is the consolation prize. I think he's a very good player and I certainly wouldn't shed a tear if they get him. I just don't think he's quite on the same level as the other 2.

Comment

I'm a huge Kentucky fan so take this for what it's worth.

Okafor is the larger guy at 6'11 270 pounds and is NBA ready with his size. If you are looking for a guy who'll be the better player next year then Okafor is the guy. He's more ready at this point in time to be productive in the NBA and long term is the safer of the 2 players.

As to Towns, I really think he has a lot more upside. He's a much better defender and shot blocker that Okafor from what I've seen. This part of his game will only get better as he matures (still only 19) and puts on more weight. He also runs the floor better and seems to be a better overall athlete.

What seems to be really over looked on Towns is that prior to getting to Kentucky he was a 6' 11'' kid who shot 3's and did a lot of damage away from the basket. Calipari pushed him to become a low post scorer this year so his 'game' in that aspect is still very raw. I think you'll see him become more like Anthony Davis (not as good obviously) in the NBA where he'll start to realize that he doesn't have to play the post as much like he was forced to with Kentucky and his outside game will surface more.

Comment

Phil already hinted Towns is his guy if the Knicks get the 1st pick. I was all about Okafor, but honestly after watching Towns i wouldn't be disappointed in landing him either. Both are so young and far from finished products that anyone that gives you a definitive answer on who to choose is just trying to sound smarter than they are. As long as we get one of them that's all that matters.
          My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

There was actually talk that Cauley-Stein could be the guy Jackson really wants though there's no way Stein goes in the top 3. He's a top level defender that can defend all positions at 7 foot but he lacks a consistent offensive game. The openness of the NBA game could help in his offense with put backs and motion but he'll never be a consistent scorer. Solid guy, along the lines of a Camby is how I see him.

Comment

Originally posted by dak11 View Post
              There was actually talk that Cauley-Stein could be the guy Jackson really wants though there's no way Stein goes in the top 3. He's a top level defender that can defend all positions at 7 foot but he lacks a consistent offensive game. The openness of the NBA game could help in his offense with put backs and motion but he'll never be a consistent scorer. Solid guy, along the lines of a Camby is how I see him.

Stein is the best defender of the bunch but no way I'm taking him with one of the top 2 picks. It's between Towns and OKafur and if I had the 3rd pick I'd take Russell
              “President Obama is a personal friend of mine,” said Rickles. “He was over to the house yesterday, but the mop broke.”

It's early!!!

Be the kind of person that when your feet hit the floor each morning liberals say "Oh crap he's up"

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeNblueNmyVeins View Post
                Phil already hinted Towns is his guy if the Knicks get the 1st pick. I was all about Okafor, but honestly after watching Towns i wouldn't be disappointed in landing him either. Both are so young and far from finished products that anyone that gives you a definitive answer on who to choose is just trying to sound smarter than they are. As long as we get one of them that's all that matters.
                Don't disagree..but the one caveat with what I said earlier..and Hat expounded upon futher..is one has to take in account the CURRENT personal on team and how the mesh...IF..emphasis on IF..Monroe is the top FA target..melo..oka. and monroe..won't work..redundant..towns the better fit..if Melo wasn't on this team..I think Okafor is best choice hands down..but unless a big mystery trade comes outta nowhere..melo is here..so the pieces gained need to be thought out very carefully..

As far as WCS..Phil make like him..but is purely a doomsday scenario..meaning knicks do Not get top 3 pick or 4 pick..AND OR..Phil gets a trade offer he can't refuse for pick and moves down.l
                ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Comment

Here's the question to the guys who love Russell....say the Knicks end up #1 or #2...would you consider trading back with the Lakers or Philly to get a 2nd first rounder (and whatever else you could squeeze) to take Russell/Mudiay with the #3/4 pick and then you'd have either the 18th or 28th pick in the first round as well....plus maybe a future pick?

I've said it on some other basketball forums, but not sure if I have here, but for the first time in probably a decade I really believe the top 4-5 guys in this draft are all 5+ time all-star type players. I'm impressed by all of them, they all have extremely different styles of play, so it all depends on how Phil really wants to mix and match.

Comment

Originally posted by MrHat View Post
                    Here's the question to the guys who love Russell....say the Knicks end up #1 or #2...would you consider trading back with the Lakers or Philly to get a 2nd first rounder (and whatever else you could squeeze) to take Russell/Mudiay with the #3/4 pick and then you'd have either the 18th or 28th pick in the first round as well....plus maybe a future pick?

I've said it on some other basketball forums, but not sure if I have here, but for the first time in probably a decade I really believe the top 4-5 guys in this draft are all 5+ time all-star type players. I'm impressed by all of them, they all have extremely different styles of play, so it all depends on how Phil really wants to mix and match.

Yes

It's early!!!

Comment

Originally posted by METSSC View Post
                      Yes
                      Its a gutsy call, but I believe it would lead to more of a win now and win later team. If they had Monroe in their back pocket I'd actually sign up for that as well.....

Russell, Melo, Monroe, and say maybe one of the Louisville forwards.... despite how tantalizing Towns/Okafor are....its tempting to take that route....but drafting of any PG definitely means this is Melo's team for the next few years still.

Comment

I'd certainly listen..as well as listen at offers in terms of PLAYERS..if it's a PROVEN/YOUNG ESTABLISHED PLAYER..and a top 10 pick..I'd at least listen

Comment

EFFING TEAM...doesn't even know how to tank a season right!!! That win last night likely cost them several spots in draft..well debate could be pontless..pick could be decided for them in end

Comment

Russell is not a bad consolation pick, in fact if he ends up being a Steph Curry/James Harden then I would take him #1 overall. Really can't lose here.

Comment

Towns
                              My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Working...
                              X