No announcement yet.

2020 Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NJ has 2 years to win this or its a disaster there - and I'd be surprised if it comes together this year - they have NO ONE at the 5....Durant is going to have to bang with big 4s...and there's no depth at the guards. They still need to make some trades and stuff THIS YEAR to have a chance. I'm also really interested to see how Kyrie/Harden work...both are SOOOO ball dominate. Its not a situation in like GS where Klay, Durant, Steph could all be great and happy to play off ball at times. Its not even Miami where your main star is more than happy to distribute (LeBron) and another star is very willing to accept the 3rd fiddle / grunt work role (Bosh). Think about how Lebron / AD could just completely destroy the Nets on the inside. Hell how are they keeping Giannis out of the paint for that matter? Its also interesting because Harden/Kyrie are terrible defenders while again in GS you had Dray and Klay as terrific ones and Miami - Bosh and Wade really stout.

All that said what was Houston thinking taking VO over Levert? A FA to be over a guy who's locked up for 2 more years? I think that was terrible....

From last night

Durant is really really good it shows the difference between pure efficiency players like Durant vs. Randle. Randle put up the numbers last night, but there was just a drastic difference in the HOW. Durant played 10 less mins and took 7 less shots to produce basically the same numbers as Julius.

Kyrie and Harden are two of most unlikable players on the planet....I'm not even a huge fan of Mr Sensitive Durant, but at least he shows up and acts like a pro.
    Last edited by MrHat; 01-14-2021, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• It's time... finally Elf to the bench.... Quickely in the starting lineup. Get spacing, watch how RJ's game expands/improves. I think Knox is earning himself a starting role too with his play vs. Bullocks. I think they are probably waiting until Burks gets back tho - can't leave the bench barren. Quick, RJ, Knox, Randle, Mitch -- Rivers, Burks, Bullock, Obi, Noel.

Don't care about the record, but good to see some of these kids making legit progress....Knox isn't worth the 9th pick, but he's at least looking like an NBA player.

Comment

• The #Knicks currently have the No. 1 Defense in the #NBA

-1st in Scoring Defense (102.7 ppg) -1st in Def FG% (43.3%) -1st in Def 3P% (31.2%)

This along with alot of the guys spouting the mantra defense leads to offense gives me so much hope. If you can win ugly with defense then so be it. Also this would be amazing if this held up at the end of the season LOL

EsEFbxoXAAUze2t?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

Imagine making the playoffs, but still being in the lottery thanks to the Dallas pick.
        My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

• Even better if the Knicks get one of the play in seeds. As I understand it, those teams are still in the lottery. So you get two lottery picks AND playoff experience.

Comment

• Welcome to season RJ...

Warriors huh? Wow..
            ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Citifield & Mets...the place where Sluggers Careers go to DIE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLzr2Al_Os

Comment

• Hali killed then last night....I think he is proving that he's best off-ball / part time PG which was part of my worry (the shooting form was the other and that has proven to be a non-factor), but with IQ in the fold it could have worked for this Knicks team. Still to have 8 wins before the 20 game mark far exceeds any expectations I had. How do we get someone to cut Payton?

Side note - the Cavs...wow.... how the hell is that team over .500 with Okoro playing like garbage? That Net trade was a gift from above for them.

Comment

• oof that was a tough way to end a road trip...a win in Utah would have been nice....looked like the team just ran out of gas.

Comment

• Quickly when he's on is pretty crazy to watch. It's amazing they can scoop him up when few mocks even had him in the first round, yet they fell in love with Toppin who looks completely uncomfortable on the court.

If they can use Toppin "potential" as a way to get a young star I wouldn't hesitate. Don't want him going down the Knox route.

This is also why I'm not too concerned about lottery picks and such in this draft. Yeah it would be nice to have a no brainer pick like Cade but there's always good players floating around... And this organization seems to historically really struggle when picking between 6-12 anyways. Frank, Knox, Toppin recently. Going back to Frye, Sweetney, Hill. Given the rules unless you're a league worse team, which even coming into the season they weren't going to be with the way the pistons, washington, and some other clubs went about building...a top 5 pick with the Knicks luck of dropping 2-3 spots EVERY lottery was unlikely.

Comment

• Yeah...appears they found a jewwl in Quickly..yeat again showing they seem to be better with later picks then Lottery..so if no top 3 pick..perhaps not end of world taking a chance finding more jewels.. Toppin pick never loved from jump..Halo was the original apple of my eye..but was persuaded to go with Vassel... Quickley negates the Hali pick..but would have still been interesting to see what a Quickly+Vassel combo would have brought to the table..

As far as 2021 draft since they will likey miss out on cream of crop..one guy I have noticed that has gotten on my radar...

Jared Butler pg Baylor.

projected to go in mid to late teens at the moment.. averaging just under 17pts with whopping 48% from 3..and under 6 assists..2 stl. 6-3 ..sounds good to me..
                    ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Comment

• Yep you were spot on with Hali. Tho I think he and Quickley could play together. He's been off guard most of the year with Fox.

Deni is the guy I really wanted once by a miracle he was still there. His shooting has been better than expected (40+ from 3)... And just his play making and D at the 3 spot is so perfectly what this team needs. He's been banged up a bit and likely will never be an all-star but such a glue player between RJ and Randle would have been perfect.

Vassell hasn't gotten a lot of burn which I find interesting. However his D and 3 point shot have carried right on over. But the concerns about his finishing/ shot creation seem to be legit this far. Early but it seems like he might cap out as a Courtney Lee

Comment

• Just trying to look ahead crystal ball projection wise..what could/should be the plan...is quickley the pg or sg of future? I can see him being the FVV role on this team. And with rj sticking at 3..they can still target the 3pt/creative dishing pg ..but the bigger question become what they do with randle/toppin..if thibs is sold on him long term..they really will only have one open spot in starting lineup at pg and toppin becomes at best a 6th man.?? Horrible use of resource going forward. They still move randle at deadline it can be fixed..but can see thibs falling in love with him..then what..??!!

Comment

• You just go for talent...the time to lean more towards NEED was this last draft IMO. The emergence of Quickley and Randle 2.0 this year it now becomes just go for the best player at pretty much any position BUT the 4....I think Quickley can be a combo guard. Like you said FVV. Hell I think Quickley can be like his idol and be an uber 6th man like Lou Williams if the talent on the roster demands it. He's a guy that you can make work with anything so I don't worry about. Same with RJ at the 2/3. If BJ Boston or someone like that is on the board you take him and the team can mold around. If there's a PG, then shift Quickly to off guard and move RJ down.

What I think is becoming clear this year and based on where the mocks are - there's no room for Knox. He's improved his D, but he's not a legit backup at the 4 position and not really a 3 either. Noel has largely been a disappointment. So that DOES open up a career path for Toppin. This team needs depth at the 4 and if he shows competent enough can work with him and Randle in small ball lineups. So all is not lost - if his future is as a backup 4 who can rebound and hit some shots he'll be okay. Yeah not the best USE of the pick, BUT will all the picks the Knicks have coming up and a potential established core of Mitch, RJ, Randle, and Quickly - they aren't all going to be starting players. It's okay if some become useful backups.

That said as I mentioned before I think if the right offer comes along you move Toppin at this point, but if not I'm okay keeping him as he's a legit 4. The time to move Knox is now. He's flashed just enough improvement this year to reclaim some value - he's not great, but I can see some team willing to look at him. I keep eyeing NO - they are having a disaster of a season, still overloaded at the point guard spot - seems like we should be able to make something work there. Hayes is barely playing. Lewis is barely playing. Walker is playing way less than he should. Ball is playing out of position and having a terrible year. I'll take any of those guys for Knox and one of those 2023 2nds. Probably more for Ball.

Comment

• Could definitely see ball targetted and moved here..

Toppin being moved would be for pennies on dollar now..I wouldn't be shocked they find a taker..but they prolly get next to no value back..he needs to play more to up that value..all these future picks..though..they gonna have to consolidate at some point..not all can make team and play even if they purge knox and frank.. so i wouldn't be shocked a vet fish gets landed at some point too...lavine rumors still out there..but let see where these picks end up (#1's) and then base targets on that i suppose..

Comment

• Toppin still has value just not as much as the #8 pick her was. Again it's like Knox after year 1. Or when we traded for DSj. Despite crappy play they were still young, teams acknowledged the upside. These kids get a year or two sometimes of that before they become what Knox and DSj are now.

While you don't max Toppin value you still get 1st round pick value. Where is he's still stuck behind Randle next year he drops to second rounder. He won't be a center piece for a good player but he's more than a throw in. If NO didn't have Zion I could easily see Toppin plus a second for Ball for example. Also If the Knicks wanted to swap Toppin for another pick not getting a lot of love right now like Jalen Smith, Kira Lewis, Onkongwu, hell Devin Vassell, etc I think teams listen now. A year from now maybe not.

Comment

• Thibs is clearly the best coach this team has had since JVG, BUT two things I'm kinda lost on is his continued play for 20+ mins a night of Elf and Bullock.

I like Reggie, but he's been mostly terrible this year. Under 40% from the field, 34% from 3 - he's getting 27+ mins a game right now. Meanwhile Knox is shooting 39% from 3, basically the same Drtg is getting DNPs left and right. I'm not high on Knox, but this change needs to happen yesterday.

Elf has been beaten to death...finally IQ has gotten most of the mins, BUT Elf continues to log 20+ mins...he's got the lowest ORTG on the team and 2nd lowest on D. Dude never should have been signed and definitely shouldn't be playing.

Comment

Working...
                                X