2019-20 offseason epic thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OrangeNblueNmyVeins View Post
    Problem is Fizdale is still here and he still hasn't proven he can coach his way out of a paper bag.
    Truth. I have a lot of questions if he's an actual coach or just a fun uncle. You guys know my opinion on it...never wanted him here.

Last year he showed no coaching feel AT ALL. His rotations, his minute allocations, his "offensive sets", and his defense were all just a mystery to everyone. BUT given the situation I'm willing to give him a pass.... while this is not a playoff team this year - this team has some talent and *COULD* have an identity - You've got some toughness with Randle, Morris, Portis, Payton....you've got some defensive freaks with Frank and Mitch - even more than an engineered offense, this team should come out of this season with a sense of identity and a clear development plan for the young talent - RJ / DJ / Frank / etc. If he can't even do that he needs to be canned asap. I'm hoping Mike Miller has an influence because that dude seems like a real coach to me

Look what a real coach did with the Bucks last year. Bud came and installed his offense and we watched The Freak go from very good to perhaps the best player in the league....basically the same team that finished 7th the year before went to first. Offense that finished middle of the pack to near the top (#1 in PPG #4 in RTG). Def rating went from 19th to #1. All because they went from Jason Kidd to a real COACH...with a system and a plan.

You read what Frank fans say - watch this kid go to like Pop or Doc or someone who values unselfish play and defense and watch how the narrative switches.

All that said I'll say this - Frank today is not a starting PG for a playoff team. Honestly I'm not sure he'll ever get there - I just think he's a good fit for THIS team as its constructed today.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrHat View Post

Truth. I have a lot of questions if he's an actual coach or just a fun uncle. You guys know my opinion on it...never wanted him here.

Last year he showed no coaching feel AT ALL. His rotations, his minute allocations, his "offensive sets", and his defense were all just a mystery to everyone. BUT given the situation I'm willing to give him a pass.... while this is not a playoff team this year - this team has some talent and *COULD* have an identity - You've got some toughness with Randle, Morris, Portis, Payton....you've got some defensive freaks with Frank and Mitch - even more than an engineered offense, this team should come out of this season with a sense of identity and a clear development plan for the young talent - RJ / DJ / Frank / etc. If he can't even do that he needs to be canned asap. I'm hoping Mike Miller has an influence because that dude seems like a real coach to me

Look what a real coach did with the Bucks last year. Bud came and installed his offense and we watched The Freak go from very good to perhaps the best player in the league....basically the same team that finished 7th the year before went to first. Offense that finished middle of the pack to near the top (#1 in PPG #4 in RTG). Def rating went from 19th to #1. All because they went from Jason Kidd to a real COACH...with a system and a plan.

You read what Frank fans say - watch this kid go to like Pop or Doc or someone who values unselfish play and defense and watch how the narrative switches.

All that said I'll say this - Frank today is not a starting PG for a playoff team. Honestly I'm not sure he'll ever get there - I just think he's a good fit for THIS team as its constructed today.
      Agreed..he was heading the Summer League teams..and the players seemed to respect him..well guess what...those same players are HERE NOW (Trier/Mitch/ellison et al.) so continuity at the coaching is now there..lets hope it continues/helps with the development of the "kids"
      ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Citifield & Mets...the place where Sluggers Careers go to DIE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLzr2Al_Os

Comment

• Practice....we talking about practice -

Mitch bombing 3's in 1 on 1 drills..... that is all.

Comment

• RJ and Frank lead the team back. They looked really good together.

Morris ejected. Lol guy is an ass but I laughed.

Knox looked good. Mitch kinda invisible on O but doing Mitch things on D.

Like it so far

(edit)

Just to expand -

The passing on this team is SOOOO MUCH better than honestly probably the last 5 years. There was some nice movement without the ball as well. They signed 800 PFs but they all know how to pass - great looks from Randle, Taj, etc all game long. The outside shooting is a lot better too even though I'm not sure you'd look at this roster and be terrified of being bombed on - however they shot 40+% from 3 in this game with guys like Morris, Taj, Ellington, Knox etc bombing away and without their best 3P shooter even on the floor (Portis). Speaking of Knox - he looks much more comfortable and in control. He's a good shooter....if they continue to limit him to minimal thinking - just shoot, pass, and move without the ball he's going to make major strides this year.

I'm still lost with the starting point on this offense tho - We all KILLED Frank for barely crossing the 1/2 court line and then passing the ball off. Well Elf was doing the same. So was Randle when they gave him point forward duties (I dont like him as point forward - he can lead a break on a long rebound, but let the guards handle it). It looks to be apart of the offense....and I guess Frank was just the only guy actually trying to execute it last year. Not sure I get the point, but it was happening consistently so its definitely something intentional.....

RJ and Frank on D together were outstanding. I'm not going to say RJ was perfect all game, but in the 3Q when the Wiz came back, Frank came in and he and RJ completely shutdown the point of attack. RJ got a bad rep from Duke IMO - dude showed me he can play D. Morris is also a menace on D. Randle however might be worse than I thought on defense. I thought he was really only a liability off ball...not true last night. That said - I REALLY want to see Frank / RJ / Morris / Randle / Mitch as the starting unit. Run the O thru RJ and Randle and I think that unit can D it up.

Trier sucked. He's gotta become a spot up shooter on this team. Ellington is the perfect guy for him to model his game after. Dude just can off of picks with a catch and shoot mentality. Can't remember the last guy the Knicks had that would just come off a curl, catch and bomb....Novak I guess...Houston from the guard the spot? That's what Trier needs to become.

I'll be interested to see what Smith does on Friday.... The Wizards are also horrible. Beal is going to be BEGGING for a trade about a month into this year. They are set to be a bottom 3 team in the league with ease

Comment

• Nice...didnt see game...only the box score..but hey... passing is contagious.. it was exacty what I was expecting with the new guys....Randle has those triple doubles on Resume' as well as Elfrid..so I totally expect this to be the norm..assist totall will reflect in how well they shoot..which is still debateable.. I wasnt for Knox off the bench...really want to continue developing him..but i supose if he still gets alot of minutes..then it should be that big a deal..and Him and DSj off the bench with taj /portis could be a nice mix..I could see them doing some damage vs opponent benches..

Only one game of course vs a bad team..and preseason...but nice to see them get off to a positve start at least..

Oh... and I still would happily take Beal if he wants a new home.
            ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Comment

• I think Knox off the bench to at least start the season...will help his game honestly. I think it will help define his role and if he can continue to just shoot, pass, or move - make the decisions almost instantly on the court, he's going to be really good. His shot is much better than I ever gave it credit for out of college. He looks stronger this year which should help his other issue of rebounding. I think he could get lost a bit in the starting lineup....tho I expect/hope to see him there before end of the year.

Honestly there's probably a really good argument to have Frank / RJ / Knox / Portis / Taj as the 2nd unit....might put too much scoring pressure on RJ, but honestly he seems to thrive and welcome it more so than just being a "piece" of an offense

Comment

• I have warmed to the idea somewhat on Knox off the bench provided he still gets a good amount of minutes >25 for his development..maybe he will relish taking lead with second unit with presumable DSJ..and Frank....but no way I see Knicks doing same for RJ out the shoot..he is thier lottery pick and is portrayed as new face of franchise..so i doubt they don't thrust him into starting limelight..and as you said..he is wanting it...plus I want him and Mitch defending out the shoot vs other starters..

Comment

• So again...its preseason BUT

I still see nothing of "Fiz" system on offense. Its still a crazy amount of ISO ball and hope something good happens - and then no adjustment from that when things aren't falling. You ride him through this year because there's still 0 expectations on this team...if he gets to 30-35 wins ish maybe you give him 1 more year depending on what FA/offseason brings, but I really see nothing out there that says this guy is a good coach.

Here's the example.... Bobby Portis. I liked this signing. I thought - sweet here's a guy to basically fill in the Lance Thomas role of go stand in a corner on O and wait for the open 3 and just crash the glass. Instead for some god forsaken reason he's handling the ball at the top of the key living off of pick and roles with Morris and Randle....uhhh wtf? You kind of know Portis is a bit of a black hole on offense and I'm fine with that when I thought his role was supposed to "tall guy who stands around and shoots 3" - why he's involved with any motion, ball handling, diving to the basket, passing plays is just beyond me. Portis should never have 12 shots in a game unless 10 of those are dunks or 3's.... This reeks of keep what you kill Fiz BS.

Barrett is going to be good. He misses too many shots and I expect that to continue this year but I think he'll learn. The thing is they aren't bad shots he's taking and over time I think he'll start to hit them. He can just get anywhere he wants on the court and his defense is actually really solid. His passing is already above average. Give him 2-3 years he's a star.

All these PGs blow....so start Frank. He's the only one who plays D and the only one who has any kind of chemistry with anyone on this team. Frank is 6 of 21 from the field this preseason. That's 29%...and he's the best shooting PG on the team. Payton is 2-14. Smith is 1-5. None of these guys are the starting PG next year might as well play the 1 that adds SOMETHING to the team.

Taj was probably my least favorite signing....now I think he might be the only "2 year" guy who's actually here next year. He's just a pro....

Comment

• Knicks picked up all the rookie options - Smith, Frank, Knox.

Smith looks like he needs another couple of weeks of rest on that back.

Just start Frank and bring Payton in with the 2nd unit when you really need someone to handle the ball. In with the 1's - RJ and Randle are going to run that offense. After 4-5 games if either of them look like ass slide Smith in and see what he's got.

Comment

• Zion out 2 months with a knee issue. After his knee issues last season we might have dodged a bullet when it's all said and done.
                      My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

• Originally posted by OrangeNblueNmyVeins View Post
                        Zion out 2 months with a knee issue. After his knee issues last season we might have dodged a bullet when it's all said and done.
                        Yep...he looked good when he played...but yeah health seemingly a huge issue for him. 3rd time in a years stretch now that he's missing time due to ankle/knee issues. The whole Duke-shoe thing. Summer league. Now this. Football bodies just not meant to dunk.....

Add to that - Barrett looks legit. RJ has a lot of Wade in him. Not as good as a shooter, but bully ball offense, great passing, and underrated D. I'm excited there, but this team still has a depressingly long way to go.

Comment

• **** Fiz. Trier starts at point?!?! No shock he's been horrible. Then Smith comes in, he committed 3 fouls and getting torched on D. Then Payton committed 3 fouls in 7 mins including 2 well beyond the 3 point line.... Leading to 7 free throws for the Spurs.

The Spurs guards are KILLING the Knicks for 18 points on 50% shooting. The 3 guys Fiz played there are 2 for 9....4 points...8 fouls at the half

If that's the offense they are contributing just play ****ing Frank. I hate this coach...

Comment

• 18-0 run dooms them. This is where I just don't trust Fiz as a coach. A good coach calls time out draws up a play. Instead we witness 4+ mins of iso ball and substitutions that only confirm that. Instead of going with guys to increase ball movement - Taj, Dotson, Payton ... We get Knox, Ellington, and Morris.

Frank finally got a chance late in the third. Made a sweet pass to Taj who missed a dunk. Then got a steal and the ref missed a goal tend. But Frank had two horrid passes - one to end the 3rd and one to start the 4th and he was rightfully removed. Tho again Fiz subs him out for Barrett to run the point. Yes I want Barrett with the ball in his hands BUT he can't guard points... And it moved Knox onto DeRozen who abused him. It's like Fiz didn't consider the matchups at all. Should have went to Payton right there even with the 5 fouls. The whole momentum of the game was shifting and he just let it.

I'll keep saying it Smith looks hurt. Dude was wearing a back brace sitting on the bench. Shot is totally broken. No explosion getting to the paint. Trier is not a point. Payton and Frank are your guys... Just play then for two damn weeks while Smith heals and if Frank blows then give Smith his run.

Bright side RJ is 100% legit. Unstoppable going to the lane. When he finally develops his jumper he's a super star

Comment

• Lol... Thought it was a typo when I saw Trier listed as starter in box score.. Guy barely played in preseason.. And when he did, he didn't look great, so you reward him with the start over the veterans in Payton??? That to me is scary... I get that he only played 6 minutes, but to me, the fact that you had that idea as it being a good idea from the get go is enough to be alarming to me going forward.. Then I hear the conference after the game.. And it's like it, just dawned on him that he should perhaps consider starting payton.. Now I'm hearing hats summation of the end of the game and it is scarier...

Maybe rj can handle PG in spots briefly... But I don't want him doing it all the time... The comparison to wade seems to definitely fit... And he wasn't in all world shooter as a rookie either. So this is encouraging.

Comment

• Fizdale being exposed as hell this season. Are there any basketball minds in the front office going WTF yet? This is not the guy to lead this team.
                                My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Working...
                                X