No announcement yet.

2019-20 offseason epic thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ditto.. KD in any scenario was always step 1...but brought it up to mention the scenario envisioning a different draft pick other than Zion with KD.. And finding the right piece to go with JA.

JA
    Butler
    X
    KD
    Mitch

Would know be a good fit at X? Or would a different player with a different skill set be better and perhaps use knoxs off the bench?
    ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Citifield & Mets...the place where Sluggers Careers go to DIE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLzr2Al_Os

Comment

You want an elite defensive guard in that lineup. Butler, Mitch, and that guy completes the lineup.

Don't need much O. Just needs to be a good passer.

Now if only we had a cheap, elite defender, good passer on this team.....

Knox is a bench player the instant the Knicks get Durant. Garbage on D. Not a good passer. Not a great rebounder. Terrible fit next to KD.

Comment

Ian Begley@IanBegley
        Sources with @wojespn: Thirty-four years ago, Dave DeBusschere pumped his fist on the podium upon winning the chance to draft Patrick Ewing. This year, Ewing will represent the Knicks at the Draft Lottery for a chance to draft Zion. Story: https://es.pn/2GmKM3x
        10:45 PM - Apr 12, 2019

Pulling out all the stops.... it takes.
        ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Comment

Dj augustine....made kyle Lowrey his *****. Simmons no answer for Russel....a guy who couldn't do anything vs Frank.

Comment

https://www.thestepien.com/2019-draft-rankings/ - Some interesting tiers there...I'm sure they'll rile some feathers with where they put Culver and JA, but I tend to agree with that. Is it sad that I think more of the tier 4 guys than the tier 3?

Comment

Originally posted by MrHat View Post
              https://www.thestepien.com/2019-draft-rankings/ - Some interesting tiers there...I'm sure they'll rile some feathers with where they put Culver and JA, but I tend to agree with that. Is it sad that I think more of the tier 4 guys than the tier 3?
              Whoever wrote that needs a new line of work
              “President Obama is a personal friend of mine,” said Rickles. “He was over to the house yesterday, but the mop broke.”

It's early!!!

Be the kind of person that when your feet hit the floor each morning liberals say "Oh crap he's up"

Comment

JA belongs on Tier 2..

And how about that drop on Cam..to Tier 4..I'll be curious to see if he comes out of his shell in NBA out of Zion/Rj's shadow..

Comment

Clarke and Porter are anywhere near the same class of JA so he's either got to be basically alone in Tier 3 or in with the Tier 2 guys.

Forget Reddish - take a look at Little and Johnson in Tier 5...bet both those guys go top 12. Where's Hachimura?!?!

The Stepian is usually decent with this stuff as they've kind of taken over for as the next really good resource, but there's some definite questions on this list.

If I had to do some breakdowns:

All-stars
                  Zion
                  Culver
                  RJ
                  JA

Starters - with all-star potential
                  White
                  Garland
                  Hachimura

Low upside/Low Risk Day 1 Contributors
                  Hunter
                  Johnson
                  Washington
                  Clarke

High upside/high risk
                  Bol
                  Reddish
                  Langford
                  Little
                  Hayes
                  Porter Jr

Comment

Just curious on people's thoughts this offseason.... I read a lot about the 1 thing they can't do is spend mutli-year deals on anyone but the elite players because if you're not getting a championship team together, its better to just kick the can down the road....

I question if that's true tho. Is there a benefit of waiting till next year? The last big FA year was 2016....most of those players are going to be off board and there's going to be a TON of teams with cap room next offseason....and has anyone looked at that class? Is DeRozen really miles ahead of Kemba? So what's the point of cap space then. 2021 would be the next big market...I think its fair to consider that time frame, BUT a ton can change by then. So yeah maybe not max Kemba AND Middleton or something crazy like that, but I don't think getting the team semi-competitive by getting 1 of the lesser "max" guys and trying to build with smart 1-2 year deals around him and the 1st rounder is a bad move. Plus if they strike out with Durant this season, how likely is it that they are going to have any success with any of the other upcoming FA classes?

I believe this team could "survive" an Amare type signing...not because its a smart financial move, but because of the draft assets they have going forward and the young talent on the team. I'd much rather give Kemba the money now, field a playoff contender next year, than punt in hopes of hitting draft gold in 2020 or a FA jackpot in 2021. The problem with the Stat move wasn't the money they gave Stat...it was the laundry list of terrible decisions after that - using the exception on Billups. Trading away pretty much every draft pick. Trading away all their young talent for Melo who was going to be FA in the offseason leaving the team with nothing to put around them. Then ultimately Stat's injuries. Had Stat stayed healthy and they had done some right moves around him, that era could have at least been entertaining. Not saying they would have been a championship team, but they were heading towards a perennial playoff type team until they started to push all their chips in on terrible moves.

Between the new draft rules, the horribleness of this team for the 20 years I'm desperate for even a 40 win team. I can't kick the can down the road for another 2 years....I'm down for them doing SOMETHING this offseason rather than sign around round of draft busts for 1 year trials and try for the 2020 draft.

Speaking of which - I know its early, but for the folks super high on Morant....go take a look at the 2020 draft class. I'd be surprised if Morant ranked in the top 3-4 of the PGs that are projected to come out next year. Draft should be LOADED with PG talent. There's about 9 that look to be first round talent, probably 5 in the lottery....very similar to the Frank (Fultz, Fox, Ball, Frank, Smith) year only I think the talent level is much higher...something to consider should they land at #2. Just really pushes me to hope if the Knicks DO land at 2...Phoenix/Chicago lands at 3 or 4 and we can trade back.

Comment

There is definitely value in kicking the can down the road. Use that cap to extract draft picks or promising playersby taking other teams bad short term deals.
                      My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeNblueNmyVeins View Post
                        There is definitely value in kicking the can down the road. Use that cap to extract draft picks or promising playersby taking other teams bad short term deals.
                        So you're down with likely 2 more years of sub 30 wins and give FA a 3rd or 4th depending how you look at it, shot in a 10 year run? I'm not convinced that this front office will be able to strike gold in the draft to turn it around....

Comment

IDk... I think I would be tempted to do what the Nets did..use the CAP space as a WEAPON ...take on other Teams overpaid trash that is expiring in next year or 2 MAX but they have to throw in 1st round pick or cheap young talent..that leaves the door open to again trade for a STAR using picks/high salaried filler when /if disgruntled/ soon to be FA/team rebuilding player X becomes available..its kicking can down road..but also allowing tremendous flexibilty to pounce on the right guy when he becomes available..while continuing to draft/develop talent.. I could see a hybrid plan like this enfolding...signing a good/Allstar calibre player and using other max slot for salvage yard...

Comment

Fair enough. I'll just be really skeptical of even trading for a star...and then actually getting him to sign on the dotted line long term if they can't flat out sign a star this offseason. I get nabbing draft picks....makes sense I'm just tired of this team being complete garbage. The kind of guys you have have to absorb to get draft picks, will make this team worse...if that's even possible...AND I worry, hinder any possible development of the young guys we do have. Trading for a "Dion Waiters" type that's going to chuck shots and be in and out of the lineup isn't going to help a Knox/Frank/Smith/Mitchell take the next steps....In fact I worry what another 2-3 years of complete suckage is going to do to any of them. I mean look at Noah....Kanter....Hardaway...I think all of them had a fairly negative effect on the roster, team, attitude, etc. Yes you can buy them out instantly...but boy you still need to build a roster somehow.

Comment

Nope.. I wouldn't even let them in game... Nailed to bench.... If they act up... Speak out.... They get bought out.. Not allowed to poison/impair development of kids..
                              Ideally they behave and you hold out hioentheu can be buses for salary filler.. But I'm still highly encouraged the master plan will enfold as desired.. So haven't even given much thought to this scenario..
                              ​​​​

Comment

You must trust Fiz waaaay more than me I cheered him for putting out a Frank, Dot, Mitch, lineup about 2 weeks into the season....watched them go 3-5 (1 loss in double overtime, 2 losses to Tor/GS the best teams in the league), with the league's BEST defensive rating ...and then NEVER return to that again.

I don't trust that guy with "spare parts" - Kanter basically whined his way back into the starting lineup until Perry / Mills cut him. To this day I still have no clue how Lance Thomas started 17 games and appeared in 46. Wesley Matthews was here for 2 games played 30 mins a game.

Mill / Perry whether they land the stars or strike out I believe need to make this roster fool proof with Fiz here. If its tank 2.0 gotta be careful with who you bring in. Personally given the draft rules, given what would be 0-3 in FA on the big names, I think I'm done with tank....I don't believe it works. Think about the "model" team for the the process - Who did the 76ers draft that made that club? Okafor is done. Fultz is a bust. Embiid is amazing but can you really be a contender with a guy who's 50/50 to be on the court? Simmons has been a good one, but short of super star status. Out of 4 top 3 picks, they got 2 right. How'd they become a contender....having some hype being mediocre, but young then trading for Butler and Harris.

The Suns have had 4 picks in the top 5 the last 5 years...got 1 of those right...maybe....they'll be onto #6 this year.

They strike out again, then I'll be convinced that to get the FA or the trade demand....you've got to be something other than a bottom feeder. So if it takes overpaying a bit for Walker or Randle or Middleton I'm down with that. Obviously not handing out 2 maxes there, but I don't think it'll be worth hording cap space in hopes of 2021. Leave *some* flexibilty, but focus on building a team...not still snagging assets. Put this team back on the map and then leverage the supposed smart people in this front office to find the guy in the next few drafts to take the team over the top - every year there's 2-3 guys in the ~10ish range who become stars - you've got Knox, you've got Mitch, you've got the pick this year...figure it out

Comment

Working...
                                X