2019-20 offseason epic thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019-20 offseason epic thread

Will this one last 2 years? who knows! Hopefully at some point there will be something OTHER than the offseason to talk about with this team.

So its interesting...I was reading an article the other day that said the Knicks offered to release/try to trade Jordan right before the deadline if he didn't want to be in mentor role here and he actually declined. Then for the last week or so the management team came to him to ask about him sitting out the rest of the season to get a look at some of the other guys on the roster and he had no issue with it. Again might be reading too much into all this, but 1. Pretty cool of Jordan - ya ya he gets paid for doing nothing, but he also could have been on a playoff team....he chose to stay and he chose not to be a dick about playing time. 2. Kind of further adds fuel to the Durant rumors IMO. Jordan supposedly a friend. Why not hang around if you think there's a pretty decent chance you'll be back next year.....

That said - if Durant comes and Jordan stays does that change the draft thoughts at all?

#1 - No - Zion is still #1. I think you can mix and match Durant/Zion at the 3, 4, and sometimes even 5 if need be. I think Zion can actually defend fine out in space

#2 - Possibly - *IF* the Knicks get a PG to come with Durant - Kemba, Kyrie, types I don't think there's any way you can consider Morant in the draft. The thought of either of those 2 defending outside would just be a disaster. Even if they went pure distributor route with someone like Rubio I don't think you want Morant at 2. Barrett would be the guy for me here. Now if they don't get one of those and instead go Middleton, Harris, Butler, then absolutely Morant can and should be the guy @ 2. Brogdan is the only PG I can see them snagging where it would make any sense to draft Morant. He can play PG or off ball....

#3 - Pretty much the same as the above although now we need to consider Barrett being off the boards. Culver is my next guy up

#4 / 5 - If for some reason Culver is off the board now things become really tricky and this is the point where I'm heavily shopping this pick. Either for trade downs or for Beal type player. While Beal is probably better than Barrett or Culver will ever be you have to consider it as Beal vs. Culver/Barrett + another Max player. I like Hunter, but I think he kind of caps out as a 3 & D player - I think he's pretty close to his ceiling already....and while that's okay I'd rather have Beal OR grab a later pick(s) in the draft and take stabs at guys like Bol, Langston, etc who to me are worth it around 10-20 slots, but not at 4-5. I love Hachimura as a college guy, but I'm not sure if he translates to the pro game....outside of defense - does he do anything better than Knox potentially could?

I think all this back channel stuff is really interesting and really impacts where you'd value Morant on the board, but since none of it would be set in stone can you take a risk either way? You've already got Smith...now if there's a 60-70% chance you're getting Kemba/Kyrie do you really go for Morant to throw into that mix? 400 explosive shitty defensive PGs just does not seem like a good way to build a team. However if you miss on your PG in FA - boy Morant sure would be a nice guy to have feeding Mitch/Jordan/Durant/etc....

LOL..Perfect title

Sigh.. another crumb of evidence to highten my hope (re:jordan aspect) which I had hear previously..but the part of him actually TURNING DOWN being traded..that cements it..unless he truly loves being in NYC and didnt give 2 shits about getting paid to sit..which is possible..

But back to the dream scenarios..

Again..all the debate goes out the window and frankly, would save us all alot of time..if KD makes it known WHO he wants to play with in NYC..whoever he says..(whether I totally agree with it or like it)..Knicks gotta make it so..but for the interest of debate..

THE HOLY GRAIL: KD+KYRIE/+ZION we all can agree no brainer..and can be left to sit thier at the top on its own..

As much as I would wish differently..I have to bregrudgingly go with you on the scenario if its #2 pick..with KD+Kyrie..barrett would very likely be the choice..but I personally would lean towards the Trade route..

As I proposed before.. I offer #2 + for Beal KD+Beal +Mitch/Jordan the vets would be lining up at the door to come aboard to fill in the blanks to provide depth.. would target guys like Rubio or perhaps beverley for pg the defense would be golden

The beauty of this is Beal makes less than max (27 mil '20 and 28 '21) giving you a little more wiggle room for depth signings..this to me is MY #1 choice after Zion..

IF they could somehow score beal without giving up #2 pick(Knox+2020+2022 pick) and get KD..Ja+beal+kd+mitch would be Awesome but unrealistic of happening as well..

my # 3 choice that is very close to #2..is to hope KD willing to come without Kyrie..and Klay would come with KD instead..in which case welcome to big apple Ja..but its so doubtful this would enfold like this I dont spend much time dreaming on it..

The biggest debate will come if no Zion..and its KD+Kyrie. and pick is 3 or later...(and PHX doesnt have #1 or #2) would Wizards still want JA ? presuming Zion/rj off the board..if so..my plan B remains in effect..if not..perhaps NO is interested..and AD comes into picture (not rooting for it as the price would be high with more being tossed in like mitch which I dont want to give)

IF Pick is #4 or #5 .. I think I would be somewhat bummed to think of scenarios to add to Knicks rookie wise.. would still look to trade it for established allstar or upcoming young player who is perhaps a year away from FA..ala oubre this past year..havent gone thru list of possibilites in this scenario..

What would be the biggest discussion that I dont want to think of is ..the doomsday scenario..No KD...NO Zion..

Draft JA (even if its #2 pick) continue kid movement..JA+Dot+knox+mitch..and supplement with? 1 year deals..? I dont know what Vet would want to come to play with the kids..so would be oh so depressing..

If its pick #3 or later and no KD then F* the NBA I dont care..
    ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Citifield & Mets...the place where Sluggers Careers go to DIE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLzr2Al_Os

Comment

We're the only 3 that talk Knicks here LOL
      My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Added to about the other 4-5 on the entire forum sounds about right..
        ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Comment

Doomsday of #4/5 and no KD....I'm desperately trying to trade back for more/future prospects.

#2/3 pick and no KD I'm going Morant. I'm not 100% sold but this team needs to solve the PG spot if guys like Knox and Mitch are ever going to evolve.

Pretty much anything else I'm in on Culver....Im even considering him at 2 over Barrett in the KD scenario.

Is it May 14th yet?

Comment

https://gothamsn.com/with-stars-loom...e-7230ceb40381

Excellent summation of the Knicks cap for this offseason.. And choices.. Like the analogies too..

So. Which of the ugly sons gets given up for adoption..?

Trier the easiest/cleanest..but if he too a KD ally.. Maybe not.. They seemly are surrounding him with a lot of buds. DSJ? Young and has ability.. And if Kyrie the pg.. They are gonna need a good backup to protect his brittleness. So that leaves BUSTlikina. Lol
            Last edited by 86mets; 04-09-2019, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Well the Rangers got lucky and moved from the 6th best odds to the 2nd overall. Maybe some good juju rubs off on their MSG brethren.
              My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Sadly, I see it as the opposite, I think it's the Bulls and the Hawks that should be stoked, sitting at number 4 and 5 right now.

Comment

Well I think its pretty obvious they are looking to deal Frank.

Personally, I'd move Smith AND Dot.

If the "goal" is signing an elite PG in FA why do you need a PG making 4+ mil on the bench? Frank can play off ball and D up on the best offensive player on the other team so be it Kemba / Kyrie whoever isn't exposed as much. What makes sense pairing up with a scoring PG who's going to play 35+ a night? Another poor defensive scoring PG OR an elite defender that can D up 1-4 on the court?

It's also a situation where then if you don't get #1, Morant can still be a possibility at 2. If you keep Smith why would you even consider Morant? Smith brings nothing to this team UNLESS he's your starting PG IMO. As we've learned, he's not a microwave off the bench.

I like Dot, but he just really isn't a good shooter. He's also not an elite defender. You know who he's silently become? Lance 2.0 -- yep I said it. Go look at the stats. Decent 3P %, but low overall FG%. Good, but not great defensively. Will get ya a couple of boards. Decent free throw shoot who never gets to the line. Has random nights where he can't hit the side of a barn. VORP of about 0. He'll be 25 next year...don't expect dramatic improvements. He's had some explosive nights which hides the direct compare, but when you add 2 stars to this team plus a draft pick and his minutes go from 25+ to 15 those kind of games are going to go away. I think you can replace him with a higher risk/upside player either in the 2nd round (assuming thats what you'd get for him) or off the scrap heap / G League.

I'd deal Frank if the plan is to skip Kyrie/Kemba and look to the wing players instead....Klay, Harris, Butler, Middleton, etc. No sense in having him around with a good wing defender as he's not a drive and dish guard.

Trier is your bench microwave player. While I think he ends up being the next Shump or Landry (kids that got off to unexpected really good starts with the Knicks, but then never grew their game) - he's shown enough you gotta give him that chance.

(edit)

Also I'd be curious about Smith's value....I think he might still be worth a late first rounder. Maybe the Jazz if they lose Rubio, the Spurs? Frank is clearly only going to net a 2nd at this point...at best.

Last edited by MrHat; 04-10-2019, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Im actually leaning towards shipping BOTH Frank AND DSJ and keeping Dot with the PRESUMPTION the Duo of KD and Kyrie are Knicks..AND Zion (of course) simply cuz he is cheap and fills a vacant spot....now if no Zion..then I reserve the right to switch plan....I keep Trier..or even better...as article suggests...let go and bring back cheaper...would use the saving on vet. min players.. heck..bring Craw back..he just scored 50+ to show he still has something..I just didnt recall KD being friends with as many knicks...LANCE..TRIER.....DJ...if he spurns us...Knicks better flush the toilet on Lance..I really thought we were gonna be done with him..but if he appeals to KD...have to suck it up..

wonder if hezonja played himself back on to radar for Knicks.. they will have to renounce him..but ON A VET MIN. ? Kornet's play also has me thinking he could be useful bench piece.. All this really gonna be crazy..as if you factor in trade possibilities..some if not many of these name were have just discussed could be sent packing if Knicks deal pick anyway..

Comment

Mario 0 points 6 turnovers. Yeah ....no. Only he can have career games then turn in that shitfest.

Comment

Lol.. Sure turned into a pumpkin..

Gonna be interesting to see, though which players are left. Scrounging around for the crumbs. A lot of money to be spent this offseason, but that's also a lot of players. So some of these guys will be had for the minimum. . And if the master plan on veils, as we all pray and hope, and it's gonna be fun, trying to fill in the blanks with these guys too.

Comment

I just get worried with Perry's "guys" - Herz, Mudiay, some of those types shouldn't be here I don't care if its for the min. Neither Mills nor Perry have been really good at collecting assets over the years to have "their guys" -- they've been better honestly at finding no namers.

Comment

If Kyrie is here..Mudiay has no shot of coming back..the concern would be if No kyrie..but to me it seems like they know he wont be back.. Herz. I didnt consider him at all..but his play at end..shows their is a miniscule amount of abiluty there..that "perhaps..in the RIGHT ROLE" could fit on team again depending on the structure..

I wonder if Vonlehs injury..will dampen market for him to and perhaps he too could be a possibility..again depending on how/who comes..

I will be ready to duck when I hear answer..but another scenario I heard by a fan on radio.. IF...NO ZION....But KD comes..and we were to take JA.. BUTLER would kind of make sense from a BB standpoint...I know..he is/can be an @ss..but that trio could do some work too no?

Comment

I wouldnt mind Butler with KD....when you go KD you're going win now. The danger is signing Butler and then going....uhhh okay now who? KD makes a lot of people who I'd NEVER consider by themselves, acceptable - Kyrie, Kemba, Butler all fall into that. No interest in ANY of them paired with anyone else...but with KD? Okay.

Comment

Working...
                              X