No announcement yet.

2017-18 OFFSEASON

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I doubt it....even tho he plays like a shooting guard Kyrie wants to be known as a point...and he's already terrible defensively. The thought of both Morant and Kyrie as defenders is just giving the other teams a green light to score at will....Look no further than Kemba TORCHING the Celts this weekend.

Here's another thought - Malcome Brogdon. Plus defender. Knock down 3P shooter. Been forced to play the 2 with Bledsoe in Mil, but is more of a point and Mil can't pay all these guys. He'll be restricted, but there's a guy to throw some money at and can pair up with whoever you want to draft - be it Barrett, Morant, Culver, OR whoever you want to sign as a 2 or 1...just 26.

I'm not against Morant at say 3 or 4, but at this point Barrett is still my #2. Size advantage. Competition advantage. The only question with Barrett is pretty much the same question on Morant - Can he get more consistent from 3? I just lean towards wanting a 2/3 - Barrett, Culver, types over a PG in this draft. Now tell me we're going to strike out in every decent FA - then I might change my tune...but for now I'm content to go FA hunting / let Smith/Frank/Allen/whoever develop. I really don't buy the whole Morant / Westbrook comparison. I think he'll be closer to Fultz - who once he got to the NBA found he couldn't get to the rim unchallenged at will suddenly developed the yips on the rest of his shots (dont think Morant is going to go down the toilet like Fultz, just saying game wise) - unless he develops a consistent 3P shot...then probably closer to Trae Young. Hell Smith Jr is kind of the same deal - all these insane explosive PGs with ability to finish in college kind of gets exposed at the point in the NBA UNLESS they've got that 3P shot to keep guys honest OR an insane handle - neither are Morant's trade marks. In the end, smaller school guys with abnormal use rates, high turnovers, and string bean builds are just never going to be high on my list. Might be totally wrong - probably am given my recent hit rate on College --> NBA projections - but that's just my take.

Comment

• FAir enough.. MB was on my list...but havent considered him too strongly as deep down I felt they would match..but wouldnt rule it out..

Gun to my head..I would likely go RJ over Ja..but the kid closed the gap and made me think about it..and if they end up # 3..I would take him..and pray for the best..but it would also all depend on what pick PHX gets..if they get #2..they are taking JA..leaving RJ to knicks anyway..but here would be the question in that scenario.. RJ or Beal? Would you flip him with another player or 2 (Not mitch) for him for the proven commodity? Gotta believe that would entice Kd more if it shook out like that..
      ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Citifield & Mets...the place where Sluggers Careers go to DIE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLzr2Al_Os

Comment

• Top 3 I'm probably staying put (AD for 2/3 probably being the only exception - you couldn't pry Zion from me for anyone realistic in the league - don't even care if he never becomes a top 10 talent - this team, this city, needs him for the hype machine alone to roll into FA).. Beyond that, I'm probably looking to trade back ....or deal it for an established player - again hard to make that call without knowing what might be going on behind the scenes with FAs. So no to RJ for Beal....tho its tempting. I've seen a more engaged defensively RJ in the tourney...that gives me pause on passing on him. I don't like it as a perfect comp, but Harden / RJ does bring a lot of similarities.....

There's a load of dudes who I all consider kind of on the same level with upsides/big weaknesses. Bol Bol, Culver, Rui, Coby White, Langford, Hunter, Garland, Reddish - One of those guys probably ends up as the "Mitchell" of this draft making some GM look brilliant - going in the 5-15 area and instantly becoming a star. Which one? No f'in clue....but I don't see a big reason to cling to that 4th or 5th spot given the step down in talent after those first 3 guys....if there's potential to get more/future assets.

Last edited by MrHat; 03-25-2019, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• I get it.. but NBa trade down are not as common as NFL..so not sure if anybody will clamor to trade up after pick 4 for the same reason you stated...AtL did make out to shabby considering..everybody including myself they were crazy to give up chance at Luka..in the end Trae is certainly holding his own..and they got a lottery pick out of it for this coming year for it..they are developing an interesting team there and can add two more young pieces to core..

But again as far as Knicks goes..this all boils down to the prize FA jewel.. who ever the F* he want to play with via FA and or draft pick..as long as he commits..make it happen ! lol
          ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Comment

• Yeah I was going to point to Atlanta as a trade down example.... Boston trading #1 down to 3 is another big one

But last year even look Suns traded up to 10 giving up 16 and a future #1. Clips and Hornets swapped 11/12 for a couple of 2nd rounders.

Jazz traded up for Mitchell by giving up #24 and Trey Lyles. Trail Blazers traded up for 10th gave the Kings 15 and 20.

Point being there's usually about 2-3 trade down scenarios every year.

This year I look at Atlanta, Boston, Cleveland as potential targets -

The Hawks will likely have 2 top 10 picks.....they need a SG to pair with Young and Collins...Not saying you're getting their 2 #1s, but I think you could swap spaces with them and grab a future pick and/or some of their 2nd rounders (they have 3 in the top 10 of the 2nd round - they aren't bringing in 5 new guys). Say the Knicks are at 4....swap 4 /5 for an extra 2nd. The Knicks only have a late 2nd round now.

Boston has #14, #18, and 22. Again I see no way they are actually keeping those 3. This would be a big drop, but there's a possibility you could snag say Langford and Bol Bol with those 2 picks. Is that really a huge drop off from selecting say Hunter or Culver at #5? I don't see it....

Cleveland has a likely top 5 and #26. Again this may be one where you drop a slot or two to add that #26 pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrHat View Post
              Yeah I was going to point to Atlanta as a trade down example.... Boston trading #1 down to 3 is another big one

But last year even look Suns traded up to 10 giving up 16 and a future #1. Clips and Hornets swapped 11/12 for a couple of 2nd rounders.

Jazz traded up for Mitchell by giving up #24 and Trey Lyles. Trail Blazers traded up for 10th gave the Kings 15 and 20.

Point being there's usually about 2-3 trade down scenarios every year.

This year I look at Atlanta, Boston, Cleveland as potential targets -

The Hawks will likely have 2 top 10 picks.....they need a SG to pair with Young and Collins...Not saying you're getting their 2 #1s, but I think you could swap spaces with them and grab a future pick and/or some of their 2nd rounders (they have 3 in the top 10 of the 2nd round - they aren't bringing in 5 new guys). Say the Knicks are at 4....swap 4 /5 for an extra 2nd. The Knicks only have a late 2nd round now.

Boston has #14, #18, and 22. Again I see no way they are actually keeping those 3. This would be a big drop, but there's a possibility you could snag say Langford and Bol Bol with those 2 picks. Is that really a huge drop off from selecting say Hunter or Culver at #5? I don't see it....

Cleveland has a likely top 5 and #26. Again this may be one where you drop a slot or two to add that #26 pick.
              OK..that one you completely sold me on..lol..but I bet those are earmarked for AD..

Sixers got a boatload of 2's as usual..no way they can keep them all..Felt last year knicks should have been able to buy one for cash..but it seems like less teams inclined to do this and instead pawn off to future years.. But anywho.. I think about it, like you if picks is 4 or later..

Comment

• Would 3 picks be more attractive than the #4 pick for NO - setting them up with 2 top 10 picks. I think they'd rather that 2nd scenario...so it might be the Knicks helping the Celts make a move for AD in this scenario, but who knows for sure. I think its a hard sell for NO to "settle" for a bunch of mid-round picks and a player or two (unless 1 of those is Tatuym - which I dont see the Celts doing).

Comment

Would 3 picks be more attractive than the #4 pick for NO - setting them up with 2 top 10 picks. I think they'd rather that 2nd scenario...so it might be the Knicks helping the Celts make a move for AD in this scenario, but who knows for sure. I think its a hard sell for NO to "settle" for a bunch of mid-round picks and a player or two (unless 1 of those is Tatuym - which I dont see the Celts doing).
                  Yeah...idk about helping Celts get AD in any way..the ripple effects could be severe...AD to Celts..Kyrie stays... Maybe KD changes mind thereafter about coming here..not a risk I wanna take..

Lets Celts depelete team if they want him so bad is what I say..

Comment

• At this point Kyrie staying on the Celts is slim to none...but I kind of hope he does....he's HURT that team....taking up 30 mil to play 50 games a year and ***** about the coach

Comment

• AGREED... something I thought I would never say, but Kimba healthier more stable option

Comment

• Yep...I'd easily go for Kemba over Kyrie at this point

Comment

• Just something to chew on.... what's the better odds right now - Zion or Durant? I still don't think Durant is coming here, but I'll easily admit there's AT LEAST 2-3x more odds on that happening than getting Zion and I think that's totally broken. .

While I'm fine with anti-tanking rules, but I think what they really need is to penalize "the process" - meaning multiple seasons of tanking. If you get #1-3, the highest you get next year would be like #4...then the following year like #9. Phoenix for example has gone 4, 4, 1, and sits with the 2nd worst record right now. While not as bad as Philly - its pretty damn close, especially if they win the lotto again. You want to still have the lottery I'm fine with that, but there should be a more scaled set of odds. 14% for the worst 3 teams in the league seems insanely harsh to me - 25-30ish% seems more in line to me.

Not that it helps the Knicks this year, but with my tin foil hat on this year I'm going to be very interested in how this lottery ends up. There's this recent swell of support/hope for the Hawks to get the #1 pick because they "support the ideals of the draft reform." -- Meaning everyone knows the Hawks are garbage...but they are out there playing hard, finishing strong, and winning some games down the stretch when everyone else would normally be closing up shop trying to lose the most to ensure they get better draft position. Pretty similar to how we all bitched about the Knicks winning 2 meaningless games last year to slide from #6 to #9..... How convenient would it be for them to get the #1 as the "model" in this new anti-tanking / first Silver enforced draft change.

Irving/Durant rumors continue to remain strong - https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...remains-strong

I'll just say it again...the only way I'm fine with Irving is if its with Durant. I don't think Irving is a leader - which is his biggest problem in Boston. I'm honestly not sure Durant is either, but I think Irving badly needs a bigger talent around than him...vs Durant who even if he has questionable leadership COULD play and succeed with a some "lesser" guys - Folks like Kemba, Klay, Butler, etc...and likely make them better.

Really no matter what your favorite advanced stat is - WS / VORP / BPM - Robinson is no worse than 3rd among NBA rookies. Second Round Picks Matter. In fact there's not even an argument that the Knicks last 2 drafts the 2nd round picks have FAR out produced their lottery picks (Dotson / Robinson vs. Frank / Knox). THIS is why I'm down for a non-Zion trade back.

To counter / caution that last thought - the last 4 years the hit rate on draft picks 6-15 - sucks. There's about 2 guys each year you can highlight over that run - Turner, Booker - Heild, Murray - Mitchell, Markkanen, - last year maybe Carter and uhhh SAG. So while I've highlighted about 6-7 guys who to me are a toss up on if one is truly better than another outside of the top 3 in this draft - the odds of getting that right are pretty bad.
                          Last edited by MrHat; 03-29-2019, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Just something to chew on.... what's the better odds right now - Zion or Durant? I still don't think Durant is coming here, but I'll easily admit there's AT LEAST 2-3x more odds on that happening than getting Zion and I think that's totally broken. .

While I'm fine with anti-tanking rules, but I think what they really need is to penalize "the process" - meaning multiple seasons of tanking. If you get #1-3, the highest you get next year would be like #4...then the following year like #9. Phoenix for example has gone 4, 4, 1, and sits with the 2nd worst record right now. While not as bad as Philly - its pretty damn close, especially if they win the lotto again. You want to still have the lottery I'm fine with that, but there should be a more scaled set of odds. 14% for the worst 3 teams in the league seems insanely harsh to me - 25-30ish% seems more in line to me.

Not that it helps the Knicks this year, but with my tin foil hat on this year I'm going to be very interested in how this lottery ends up. There's this recent swell of support/hope for the Hawks to get the #1 pick because they "support the ideals of the draft reform." -- Meaning everyone knows the Hawks are garbage...but they are out there playing hard, finishing strong, and winning some games down the stretch when everyone else would normally be closing up shop trying to lose the most to ensure they get better draft position. Pretty similar to how we all bitched about the Knicks winning 2 meaningless games last year to slide from #6 to #9..... How convenient would it be for them to get the #1 as the "model" in this new anti-tanking / first Silver enforced draft change.

Irving/Durant rumors continue to remain strong - https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...remains-strong

I'll just say it again...the only way I'm fine with Irving is if its with Durant. I don't think Irving is a leader - which is his biggest problem in Boston. I'm honestly not sure Durant is either, but I think Irving badly needs a bigger talent around than him...vs Durant who even if he has questionable leadership COULD play and succeed with a some "lesser" guys - Folks like Kemba, Klay, Butler, etc...and likely make them better.

Really no matter what your favorite advanced stat is - WS / VORP / BPM - Robinson is no worse than 3rd among NBA rookies. Second Round Picks Matter. In fact there's not even an argument that the Knicks last 2 drafts the 2nd round picks have FAR out produced their lottery picks (Dotson / Robinson vs. Frank / Knox). THIS is why I'm down for a non-Zion trade back.

To counter / caution that last thought - the last 4 years the hit rate on draft picks 6-15 - sucks. There's about 2 guys each year you can highlight over that run - Turner, Booker - Heild, Murray - Mitchell, Markkanen, - last year maybe Carter and uhhh SAG. So while I've highlighted about 6-7 guys who to me are a toss up on if one is truly better than another outside of the top 3 in this draft - the odds of getting that right are pretty bad.
                            I heard Evan make this point to beningo this morning about the odds difference between getting KD and Zion. I too, also believe at this point that the chances are odds are better getting KD.. Which to totally agree with your point is ridiculous in terms of the draft process.. No way in hell should the next have a greater chance or odds of getting number 5 versus number one with the worst record..

. Many of the top people in the field are all saying that KD is coming to New York, which absolutely thrills me, but also scares the crap out of me as the disappointment, if it doesn't happen, is gonna be even more monumental than when LeBron didn't come..

We have already covered the Kyrie aspect of this all and totally agree as well...

Speaking of BUSTlikina.. He's done for the year officially... Another wasted year..

Thank God for Mitch! I really hope they don't get tempted to trade him.. They can trade practically anything else for another star for KD if they want..

And helping in regards to the leadership aspect you mentioned, that's where it guy like de Andre Jordan, perhaps sticking around would be a big help.

Comment

• Thus ends the Zion run. Honestly his last 2 outings he looked mortal and still put up 20+. I do agree with the fat pope tho....he's not generational ....he's not Lebron.....he's not Shaq....but I think he's a 20/10/4/2 guy....which puts him at worst at Blake Griffin....and again caps him out at the Freak. Gimme

https://mobile.twitter.com/SportsCen...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Comment

• Man between the KP rape stuff and THJ's need for surgery that trade is looking better and better. Hahahahahaha
                                My EntireTeam Sucks...

Comment

Working...
                                X