Season Predictions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season Predictions

Well it sounds like both KP and Frank will be good to go for the opener....which is nice....hopefully both see the court for 70+ games this year, but obviously the preseason hasn't been a good sign in that regard.

I say 25 wins.

They only won 30 last year and just lost 3 of their top 5 scorers from last year (Melo, Rose, Jennings)....and while all 3 of those guys were terrible defensively, the folks they replaced them with are all pretty much worse. It's going to be hard to get this team down to a ~9 man rotation because they have a collection of randomly talented but hugely flawed parts...and Horny needs to figure out not only who can play, but who they play best with. Then Scotty needs to beam everyone else out of town.

It's going to take a couple of months....and the schedule gods were not very nice either, letting the knicks play the Celts, Cavs, and Thunder in the first 5 games of the season....in fact over their first 10 games they only play 3 against non-playoff teams from last year.....they then get 2 games vs. the much improved Kings and the meh Magic, but then run up against 9 straight playoff teams again after that. So only 5 of their first 21 games are vs. non-playoff teams.

It's going to be likely be a BRUTAL start.....which mentally is going to be tough for a young team and a coach who likely (and should) feel he's in the hot seat this year with a torn down team and a new GM.

So here's what I expect - energy and effort. They are going to be bad defensively, but the few bright spots I want to see shine - Dotson, Lee (while he's here), Frank, KP, Baker.... Combat that by dominating the boards - Kanter, Willy, Noah are all guys who get double digit boards in their sleep. Coaching....this team has some offensive firepower, but does lack the guy to come in and stop the bleeding when the team goes a little cold. Who's the guy who can take over for a 5 min stretch and get to the line at will? KP could be...but can he do it consistently? Horny is going to have to show his coaching chops by figuring out how to stop those bleeds quickly so that a 5 point deficit doesn't become a 20 point one in 5 min stretch like we saw all preseason.

Frank starting - I just pointed to the schedule and his lack of court time thus far. Dec is the time frame I have circled. If he can't crack the starting lineup by then, I'll be really disappointed.
    Dotson getting rotation mins - He's a better version of Holiday IMO. I hope he doesn't get buried in this clunky bench
    Willy - Kanter in the new toy, but Willy is a guy who averaged 16 points and 13 boards per 36 mins last year and isn't a road cone defensively....he better be getting 25ish a game.
    Assets - There's a couple of tradeable parts on this team - Scott needs to get some value for the likes of Lee, KoQ, McBuckets, Beas, Kanter, etc.
    Top 5 pick - sorry, but that's gotta be a goal. This upcoming draft is very top heavy with 5 seemingly legit studs sitting there.....the previous tank mongers all look to be better - Lakers, Sixers, Suns, Kings....of course the Bulls have gone into full on suck, but there's plenty of room in that top 5 area...don't let an extra 2-3 wins get in the way of the bigger picture.

My initial thought was 20-22.. but East is so top heavy with bunch of mediocre teams in middle/end..they could squeak out a few meaningless wins..add to fact that END of schedule Back to back vs Clev. and one vs Mil could be meaninglesss games for them so they could rest up regulars for playoffs.. I care not about total..just hope they dont try too hard to win meaningless games at end and ruin draft position like they usually do.. IF they stay in TOP 5 of draft, I'll be content..will pray for top 3..
    ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Citifield & Mets...the place where Sluggers Careers go to DIE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLzr2Al_Os

Comment

I've come to accept Knicks luck....meaning that even if they finish bottom 3....they probably end up with only a top 5 pick.....if they are 3rd, there's only a 4% chance they'd fall to the 6th pick and even the Knicks can't have THAT bad of luck....but very easily could see the #5 pick.

That's also why I kind of hope they figure out if Kanter or Willy is their guy in the center and move the other. I lean strongly towards Willy, but whatever make the call because 3 of the top 5 guys play the 4/5....and even Porter might actually be better as a 4 in the NBA than 3. Even if the get/go Doncic, still need to clean up that 4/5 position before the draft IMO.

As long as they don't break 30 wins they should be in line for a top 5 pick. I think an argument could be made for any of those top 5 guys to go #1 overall so at this point I'd be extremely happy with any of them...we'll have to see how the college season plays out and if any of the centers stand up or slide back.

Comment

YIP..why I said top 5..Knicks will get a presumed stud either way..top 3 hedges bet even better of course..

I too am really surious how the big man glut plays out..time will tell..perhaps a playoff team gets a major injury somehere as well to open up possibilities..but as of now..not too many seemingly in need/market for one..add to fact the presumed change in dynamics of the league..perhaps they "style" of play gonna work against the Knicks efforts in deals as alot of teams shifting to up tempo..not really suited for Kanter/Wily..

Waiting to see the Unicorn part 2..I hear we drafted another one from Europe who very few have seen if he exists..almost like a ghost..
        ACCEPTED TRUTH: That I will be ROYALLY F**CKED OVER by EVERY TEAM I ROOT FOR (METS, JETS & KNICKS) !!!

Comment

Originally posted by 86mets View Post
          Waiting to see the Unicorn part 2..I hear we drafted another one from Europe who very few have seen if he exists..almost like a ghost..
          Ha! Me too! It was really limited, but I will say at least compared to the other guys we had out there, there was a noticeable difference with him on the court defensively. Offensively, he looked to pass a bit too much, but I'd rather have a PG error in being unselfish than selfish. His shot was off that day for sure as he rushed it, but when he set it looked true. To get where he's going to need to be offensively it looks like he is really going to need to developer a nice floater......as he's not explosive finishing in the lane. He needs to go to the Mark Jackson PG school (who I still hope gets the Knicks job in the future)...if he could develop a tear drop and even some PG post moves that would more than make up for any lack of jumping out of the gym.

However I will say I think his lack of athletic ability was overplayed a bit. He had 0 problem driving past Lin and Russell....while not all world defenders, neither are pushovers one on one.

Of course hard to read too much into 18 mins of preseason...and he's going to get the test of a life time with Westbrook out there in game 1.

Comment

Lol.. Yeah.. lin and Russel nowhere near a test for him. They have to be near bottom of league defensively..So we shall see.. Your plan for development is surely the way to go.. And yes... Jackson would be a great hire.. But doubt Dolan would do it..

Tough break for Celts.. Not crying for them.. But would be the typical thing to happen to knicks.. The have depth.. So perhaps they ride it out and have enough to get them to playoffs.. But if they should look for help... Lee/Quinn pkg. Could help them.. 😏
            Last edited by 86mets; 10-18-2017, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X