In anticipation of the 42nd Ryder Cup, the PGA of America today tees off the 2018 Ryder Cup Trophy Tour in New York City with Captain Jim Furyk presenting the Trophy at the Yankees-Mets game at Yankee Stadium. Captain Furyk and the Trophy will then visit other iconic locations around the city, including the Empire State Building and various media appearances.
The Tour, which will build support and excitement for the United States Ryder Cup Team and the spirit of the Ryder Cup, concludes on Sept. 16, two weeks before the U.S. looks to defend the Cup at one of the pre-eminent events in sports. The 42nd Ryder Cup will be conducted at Le Golf National near Paris, Sept. 28-30.
Golf fans across the United States will have an extraordinary opportunity to show their support for the American team, and get up close with the Ryder Cup, as the Trophy travels 9,000 miles and makes stops in 11 cities. In addition to U.S. Ryder Cup Team Captain Jim Furyk, 66th U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and past Ryder Cup Captain Hal Sutton will join the Tour at special locations.
“The Ryder Cup Trophy Tour will allow fans across the country to celebrate and show support for the U.S. Ryder Cup Team, as well as present a special opportunity to see the iconic Trophy in person,” said Furyk. “As we prepare to compete against Europe in one of the most remarkable events in sports, we want to thank our fans by giving them a special chance to connect with the Trophy.”
The tour will end with Furyk leading the crowd in the “Terrible Towel Twirl” at Heinz Field for the Pittsburgh Steelers home opener vs. the Kansas City Chiefs on Sept. 16. Furyk, who grew up in Pennsylvania, is a devoted Steelers fan.
Rice, who is a professor at Stanford University, will accompany the Trophy as the Cardinal football team takes on the USC Trojans on Sept. 8 at Stanford Stadium.
Sutton, who was Ryder Cup Captain in 2004, will present the Trophy twice in Houston. First, the Ryder Cup will appear with him at the Dallas Cowboys-Houston Texans preseason game at NRG Stadium on Aug. 30, then again two days later, as the Los Angeles Angels take on the defending World Series Champion Houston Astros at Minute Maid Park on Sept. 1.
Along the way, the Ryder Cup Trophy will also make appearances at several high-profile sporting events and golf venues, including:
· Aug. 13: New York Yankees vs. New York Mets (Yankee Stadium)
· Aug. 14: Tour of New York City, including Empire State Building
· Aug. 22: Cincinnati Reds vs. Milwaukee Brewers (Miller Park)
· Aug. 22: Whistling Straits at Destination Kohler – Host of the 2020 Ryder Cup
· Aug. 24: Tour of Chicago, including Chicago Riverwalk and Cloud Gate
· Aug. 25: Kansas City Chiefs vs. Chicago Bears preseason game (Soldier Field)
· Aug. 27: Bethpage Black – Host of the 2024 Ryder Cup (Bethpage, N.Y.)
· Aug. 30: Dallas Cowboys vs. Houston Texans preseason game (NRG Stadium)
· Aug. 31: Minnesota Twins vs. Texas Rangers (Globe Life Park in Arlington, Texas)
· Sept. 1: L.A. Angels vs. Houston Astros (Minute Maid Park)
· Sept. 2: LSU Tigers vs. Miami Hurricanes (AT&T Stadium, Arlington, Texas)
· Sept. 6: Tour of San Francisco, including Lombard Street, the Golden Gate Bridge and Fisherman’s Wharf
· Sept. 8: USC Trojans vs. Stanford Cardinal (Stanford Stadium)
· Sept. 14: Pittsburgh Steelers “Kip Moore Concert”
· Sept. 15: Tour of Pittsburgh, including the Cathedral of Learning, UPMC Steel Tower and Roberto Clemente Bridge
· Sept. 16: Kansas City Chiefs vs. Pittsburgh Steelers (Heinz Field)