Albany Makes A Comeback And Beats The Pack In OT

Hartford, CT – Miles Wood’s goal at 1:43 of overtime completed an Albany Devil comeback Friday night at the XL Center, in a 4-3 win over the Hartford Wolf Pack.

The Devils fought back from a 3-1 third-period deficit on goals by Kevin Rooney and Ben Sexton.

In front of a crowd of 4,909, Wolf Pack coach Ken Gernander’s squad came out attacking in the game’s opening frame. After an early power play saw the Pack land five shots but ultimately come up empty-handed, Hartford’s Chris Brown finally broke the stalemate at the 9:55 mark. The right-winger found himself unmarked at the bottom of the left circle and sent a snap-shot off of Mackenzie Blackwood’s glove and into the back of Albany’s net, for Brown’s fourth tally of the year.

With his offense dominating, Wolf Pack goaltender Magnus Hellberg saw little action, but nevertheless denied all six of the attempts that came his way.

Just two minutes and fifty-six seconds into the second period, Matt Carey added to Hartford’s lead when he got inside position on Albany defenseman Josh Jacobs and fired a wrist shot past Blackwood’s short side.

The Devils were finally able to beat Hellberg when Seth Helgeson, assisted by Petr Straka and Blake Coleman, launched a perfectly-placed snap-shot just inside the right post at the 13:55 mark, trimming the Wolf Pack’s lead to 2-1.

Hartford was quick, however, to quell any momentum that Helgeson’s score may have provided for the Devils. At 17:01, Jacobs was whistled for hooking, sending the Pack on their third power play of the evening. With a man advantage, Adam Tambellini received a crisp pass from Mat Bodie and ripped the puck over Blackwood’s right shoulder from the left flank at 17:38. The score, Tambellini’s third of the year, was also assisted by Ryan Graves and sent the Wolf Pack into the dressing room leading 3-1.

The third period, though, would belong to the Devils, who outshot the Wolf Pack 11-6 in the frame.

Kevin Rooney got Albany back to within one at 10:40, firing a shot past Hellberg from the left side.

Shortly thereafter, at 13:29, Ben Sexton scored an unassisted tally to tie the score at three. Rooney got around the Wolf Pack’s John Gilmour on left wing and had the puck poked off of his stick. Rooney kept going, though, and, as he was being knocked down, managed to get another poke at the puck and send it through Hellberg.

The rest of the third was scoreless, and Albany would get the game-winner on its second shot of overtime. Wood carried down the right side into the Wolf Pack zone and used Hartford defenseman Steven Kampfer as a screen, snapping a high shot that found the top of the net and gave the Devils the win.


About the Author

Get connected with us on Social Media