TopSpin Charity announced it will support youth education in New York City with a charity table tennis tournament on Wednesday, Dec. 10, from 6:30-11:30 p.m. at Metropolitan Pavilion in Manhattan. Tickets for the sixth annual event are now on sale, $125 for event entry and $225 for table tennis tournament entry at www.TopSpinCharity.com.
TopSpin, a national philanthropic group, dedicated to empowering America’s youth through education, will bring together more than 1,500 members of the sports and entertainment industries, including top sports executives and athletes from New York-based professional teams.
“TopSpin strives to make an even greater impact each year for an amazing group of nonprofits working with young people in New York City,” said Peter Farnsworth, Founder of TopSpin Charity. “It’s always so motivating and impressive to see how executives from across the professional sports leagues, area teams and leading media companies and agencies come together to make such an incredible contribution.”
Headlining this year’s event is the Celebrity Tournament in which professional athletes and celebrities from New York City will play on an elevated stadium court. New York Giants’ defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul was the TopSpin Celebrity Tournament Champion in 2013. The event will also have an Open Division in which participants can register and a Professional Division boasting 10 players from USA Table Tennis, four of which are Olympians, including three-time U.S. Women’s Singles Champion Ariel Hsing. Winners of each Division will receive official TopSpin trophies from Tiffany, and be awarded with a VIP trip to the Venetian/Palazzo in Las Vegas.
The charity event will bring 15 of New York’s top restaurants together, offering an unprecedented catering variety. The event will have a Coca-Cola Lounge, Keurig Café and two satellite bars. Additional event elements include a Bosco photo booth, golf simulator and silent auction in partnership with Grandstand Sports & Memorabilia. New York City natives D-Nice and MICK will return to DJ TopSpin NYC again for 2014.
TopSpin will donate all proceeds secured in 2014 to five charities – including two first time beneficiaries – working to better the educational opportunities for underserved youth:
· A Better Chance – FM: The flagship charity that TopSpin has funded for six years, the Fayetteville-Manlius chapter of A Better Chance near Syracuse, N.Y., focuses on increasing educational opportunities for underrepresented, low-income students from New York City. TopSpin’s funding will go towards yearly expenses and college prep programs.
· New Heights Youth, Inc.: New Heights, one of TopSpin Charity’s two new beneficiaries in 2014, aims to educate and empower promising inner-city youth to be leaders, champions and student-athletes by developing the skills necessary for success in high school, college and life. The organization’s “College Bound” program promotes academic, athletic and life skills success by engaging youth over time.
· Horizons – BFS (Brooklyn Friends School): Brooklyn Friends School provides college prep programs for students from Preschool through 12th grade in Brooklyn, serving 135 low-income families every summer. For the third consecutive year, funds raised by TopSpin will provide S.T.E.M. programming for summer and afterschool participants.
· Prep for Prep: Prep for Prep, another new TopSpin Charity beneficiary, is an educational, leadership development program that provides New York City’s most talented and promising minority students with access to a superior education and life-changing opportunities at leading independent schools in the City and boarding schools throughout the Northeast.
· Wishbone: In its second year of partnership with TopSpin, Wishbone is committed to closing the nation’s achievement gap by bringing quality out-of-school opportunities to at risk and low-income high school students.
The TopSpin Charity event and movement is proud to be affiliated with numerous corporate supporters from across the sports and entertainment industry, including MKTG INC, a leading experiential agency that has been producing the TopSpin event for the last three years, as well as Williams-Forrest, TopSpin’s digital services partner and Engine Shop for social media services.