NEW YORK YANKEES NOTES –
• The Yankees won their second straight and third in their last four games…won for the fifth time in their last six home games and improved to 13-6 at Yankee Stadium in 2011.
• The Yankees improved to 7-5 in series openers, winning their first such game at home since 4/13 vs. Baltimore (had lost their last three).
• The Yankees improved to 1-0 vs. the Royals in 2011…have won 34 of the last 47 games between the two teams…are 37-8 at home vs. Kansas City since the start of 2000.
• The Yankees did not homer in a game for the eighth time this season, fourth at home…six of their seven hits tonight were singles…scored all three runs on two-out hits
• RHP Freddy Garcia earned the win, holding the Royals to 1ER in 6.0IP (6H, 2BB, 3K, 1HR)…won for just the second time in his last 11 starts vs. Kansas City dating back to September 2005. .
• LF Brett Gardner (1-for-2) collected his second triple of the year and 17th of his career…becomes the second Yankee in the Expansion Era (since 1961) to collect at least 17 triples over his first four Major League seasons (all with the Yankees), joining Derek Jeter (22, 1995-98)…the Yankees
Over their last 21 games (since 4/16) Yankees starters have posted a 2.96 combined ERA (136.2IP, 45ER), going 10-5, while the club has gone 13-8…own a 2.35 ERA (65.0IP, 17ER) in their last 10 home games over the stretch.
are 9-2 this season when he scores a run.
• SS Derek Jeter (2-for-4) recorded his season-high third straight multi-hit game.
• 3B Alex Rodriguez (1-for-4) hit a two-run single in the fifth to break a 1-1 tie…snapped an 0-for-10 with
runners in scoring position and was his second hit in his last 18AB with RISP…has now reached base safely
in 25 of his 29 games this season.
• 2B Robinson Cano (1-for-4) has hit safely in 23 of his last 27 games and 26 of his 32 contests this season.
• RHP Mariano Rivera (1.0IP, 1H, 1K) collected his 13th save of 2011, marking the earliest date he has reached
the mark (previous best was 1997, when he earned his 13th save on 5/11 vs. Kansas City)…has now
converted 25 consecutive save chances vs. the Royals since 5/2/99, his longest such stretch against any
opponent (credit: Elias)…has saved or won 12 of the Yankees’ 13 home wins in 2011.
KANSAS CITY ROYALS NOTES–
• The Royals lost their second straight and fell for the fourth time in their last six games…fell to 0-5 in series openers on the road, and are now 3-9 away from Kauffman Stadium this season.
• Kansas City was held to just one run for the second time this season (also 4/23 at Texas, a 3-1 loss started by Kyle Davies), matching their season low.
• The Royals fell to 0-1 vs. the Yankees in 2011…have lost 34 of the last 47 games between the two teams…are 8-37 in the Bronx since the start of 2000.
• Kansas City batters were hitless in 7AB with runners in scoring position tonight, and 2-for-13 with men on base.
• RHP Kyle Davies (5.0IP, 7H, 3ER, 1BB, 3K, 1HP) lost his fourth straight game, and is now winless in his last five starts (0-4, 6.08 ERA, 26.2IP, 18ER)…suffered his first career loss against the Yankees (entered tonight 3-0 with a 5.85 ERA)…retired his first eight batters faced.
• CF Melky Cabrera (1-for-4) homered in his first game at Yankee Stadium since the 2009 championship season.
• C Matt Treanor (2-for-2) collected his third multi-hit game of season the season…has now caught 7-of-16 (43.8%) runners attempting to steal against him in 2011.