NEW YORK YANKEES NOTES –
• The Yankees won for the fourth time in their last five games and improved to 12-6 at home in 2011…finished 4-3 on their seven-game homestand…the Yankees improved to 6-3 in series finales in 2011, including a 5-1 mark in home series finales…the Yankees are now 5-0-1 in home series this season.
• The Yankees improved to 3-2 vs. the Blue Jays in 2011 (2-1 at Yankee Stadium)…have now won 23 of their last 38 home games vs. Toronto.
• The Yankees lead the Majors in home runs (45) and multi-home run games (15) this season, homering in 21 of the team’s 25 games in 2011…the Yankees have scored a Major League-high 57.6 percent of their runs this season via home runs (139 total runs, 80 via HR).
• Yankees pitchers have allowed three-or-fewer runs in eight of their last 10 games (since 4/20)…over their last 13 games (since 4/16), Yankees starters have posted a 2.44 combined ERA (85.0IP, 23ER), going 7-2, while the club has gone 9-4.
• RHP Ivan Nova earned his second win of the season, allowing 2ER in 6.1IP (6H, 4BB, 5K, 1HR)…tied his career high in innings pitched, set in his last start on 4/26 vs. Chicago-AL…allowed a solo HR to Adam Lind in the second, snapping a stretch of 35.1IP without allowing a HR (had last allowed a HR to Carlos Pena on 9/14/10 at Tampa Bay…according to the Elias Sports Bureau, is the first rookie pitcher to start five of the Yankees’ first 25 games of a season since Al Leiter in 1988.
• DH Jorge Posada (1-for-3) appeared in his 1,737th career game, tying Joe DiMaggio for 10th place on the Yankees’ all-time games played list…snapped an 0-for-19 stretch with his fifth-inning double.
• 1B Mark Teixeira (1-for-4) hit his seventh home run of the season in the first…was his sixth homer of the season at home – all of which have been hit over the first three innings…is batting .474 (9-for-19) with 7R, 3 doubles, 3HR, 6RBI, 3BB and 2HBP in the first inning this season.
• CF Curtis Granderson (2-for-4) hit his eighth home run of the season in the fifth…did not hit his eighth home run in 2010 until a two-HR game on 7/25 vs. Kansas City…has 22HR since 8/14/10, third-most in the Majors over the span behind Jose Bautista (27) and Troy Tulowitzki (23).
• 2B Robinson Cano (1-for-3) has hit safely in 19 of his last 20 games and 22 of 25 contests this season.
• RHP Mariano Rivera (1.0IP) collected his 10th save of 2011…marks the earliest date in his career he earned his 10th save of a season (previous was in 2000 on 5/3)…has saved or won 11 of the Yankees’ 12 home wins in 2011.
• C Francisco Cervelli (0-for-2) played in his first game since being reinstated from the 15-day disabled list on Friday.
• Earlier today, the Yankees announced that RHP Kevin Millwood has opted out of his contract.
TORONTO BLUE JAYS NOTES–
• The Blue Jays lost for the fifth time in their last 9G…fell to 4-3 on their current 10-game road trip and are now 7-10 on the road this season.
• The Blue Jays fell to 2-3 vs. the Yankees in 2011 (1-2 at Yankee Stadium)…fell to 8-13 at the current Yankee Stadium and have lost 23 of their last 38 games in the Bronx.
• RHP Jesse Litsch recorded the loss, allowing 5ER in 6.0IP (6H, 2BB, 5K, 2HR, 1HP)…marked his most earned runs allowed since 7/6/10 vs. Minnesota…had allowed just 1HR this season prior to today’s game…in seven career starts vs. the Yankees, is 1-5 with a 6.03 ERA (34.1IP, 23ER)…has held right-handed batters to a .130 (6-for-46) batting average with no extra-base hits in 2011.
• 1B Adam Lind (2-for-4) extended his hitting streak to seven games with a second-inning home run…over the stretch, is batting .429 (12-for-28) with 4HR and 10RBI…has homered in three of his last six games (4HR total)…leads all Blue Jays players with 22RBI this season.
• CF Rajai Davis (1-for-3) stole three bases today (second and third base in the third inning and second base in the seventh inning), marking the most stolen bases by a Blue Jay in a single game since Alex Rios on 7/23/09 vs. Cleveland (also 3SB)…recorded five total stolen bases this series…had just 1SB over his first seven games of the season…was caught stealing second base in the fifth inning, marking the first time the Yankees caught him stealing since 7/20/08 (w/ Oakland)…snapped a streak of 10 straight successful stolen base attempts vs. the Yankees.
• DH David Cooper (2-for-3) collected his first Major League hit with a second-inning single off Ivan Nova…began his career 0-for-7.
• RF Jose Bautista (0-for-2) was removed from today’s game in the top of the seventh inning with neck tightness.