Visit Our Sponsors

NY Sports Day Forums


Go Back   NY Sports Day Forums > Mets Online Fan Forum > Mets Archive
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Visit Our Sponsors


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
mets84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,178
Default It's official: Rickey out; Nieto in.

Note: Tom Nieto Replaces Rickey Henderson | MetsBlog.com
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share this post on Facebook!  Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!

Want fewer adverts? -Join NY Sportsday's Forums
Old 01-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
15 Day DL Alou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 2016
Posts: 6,026
Default

at what point does Down become Reyes personal coach.
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share this post on Facebook!  Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 01-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
freakzilla11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: What's the matter, honey? Little extra cheese on the taco?
Posts: 6,888
Send a message via ICQ to freakzilla11 Send a message via AIM to freakzilla11 Send a message via Yahoo to freakzilla11
Default

Henderson is only good in small doses.
__________________
David Wright on Jeff Francoeur's postseason: "He didnt play all that much, but he was in every camera shot.

I get out a lot anyway, so might as well give it a try [bunting], said Davis. If I get it down in the right spot, its a hit. Im going to definitely try to do that more often.

Should of, would of, could of.
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share this post on Facebook!  Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,734
Default

I thought Neito was the catcher in the bullpen. Too bad Oberkfell didn't get the job.
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share this post on Facebook!  Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 01-07-2008, 11:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
MetfanBren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,202
Send a message via AIM to MetfanBren
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
I thought Neito was the catcher in the bullpen. Too bad Oberkfell didn't get the job.
Oberkfell is more valuable in NO, even with a not very good system. I don't think he's a one area guy, which is probably what you're looking for when you hire your sixth or seventh coach on a staff. I did think Neito was on the staff already too though...

As for the water under the Rickey/Reyes bridge, I thought it was weird that Rickey shifted focus somewhat when he began working with him everyday. Could be just having nothing better to analyze, but in the Spring sessions in years past he was always working on getting on base. When Rickey took over full time after the ASB he seemed to shift the focus to running constantly. Maybe they assumed he was more of a finished product than he is/was? The AB's suffered in every way, even a significant drop in slugging. It looked to me like Reyes was trying to first base a lot of time, so to speak. He's obviously a far better player than just stolen bases, and I don't think talk of 100 or more (like Rickey loves to boast he's capable of) is a good thing for his game. He'll get 60 a year in his sleep, but the next guy needs to make him realize that he's far from one dimensional again...
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share this post on Facebook!  Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 01-08-2008, 12:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,746
Default

That is because Ricky is going to be Beltran's backup and occasional starting RF when Church plays left because Alou has arthritis.
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share this post on Facebook!  Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 01-08-2008, 01:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetfanBren View Post
Oberkfell is more valuable in NO, even with a not very good system. I don't think he's a one area guy, which is probably what you're looking for when you hire your sixth or seventh coach on a staff. I did think Neito was on the staff already too though...

As for the water under the Rickey/Reyes bridge, I thought it was weird that Rickey shifted focus somewhat when he began working with him everyday. Could be just having nothing better to analyze, but in the Spring sessions in years past he was always working on getting on base. When Rickey took over full time after the ASB he seemed to shift the focus to running constantly. Maybe they assumed he was more of a finished product than he is/was? The AB's suffered in every way, even a significant drop in slugging. It looked to me like Reyes was trying to first base a lot of time, so to speak. He's obviously a far better player than just stolen bases, and I don't think talk of 100 or more (like Rickey loves to boast he's capable of) is a good thing for his game. He'll get 60 a year in his sleep, but the next guy needs to make him realize that he's far from one dimensional again...
I'm sure Neito was already on the payroll. These owners can't decide if they want to run the team like the Yanks or the Twins. Another penny pinching move.
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share this post on Facebook!  Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 01-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: when will one of my favorite teams be good again?
Posts: 33,987
Default

Rickey don't know no guy named Nieto.
__________________
Is it football X basketball X baseball season yet? Ah screw it....they all suck.
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share this post on Facebook!  Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 01-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,206
Default

And in other Met news today, Omar has signed every unemployed hispanic player to a minor league deal.

The Mets also announced yesterday they have signed right-handed pitchers Juan Padilla, Joselo Diaz and Andy Cavazos, infielders Anderson Machado and Fernando Tatis, catchers Robinson Cancel and Salomon Manriquez and lefty pitcher Ryan Cullen to minor-league contracts.
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share this post on Facebook!  Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 01-08-2008, 01:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
15 Day DL Alou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 2016
Posts: 6,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
I'm sure Neito was already on the payroll. These owners can't decide if they want to run the team like the Yanks or the Twins. Another penny pinching move.
I would ask I you are serious, but sadly, I know the answer to that...
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share this post on Facebook!  Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 01-09-2008, 01:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15 Day DL Alou View Post
I would ask I you are serious, but sadly, I know the answer to that...
Of course I'm serious, are you?
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share this post on Facebook!  Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 01-09-2008, 09:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Long Island Met's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Massapequa
Posts: 120
Send a message via AIM to Long Island Met
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994 View Post
And in other Met news today, Omar has signed every unemployed hispanic player to a minor league deal.

The Mets also announced yesterday they have signed right-handed pitchers Juan Padilla, Joselo Diaz and Andy Cavazos, infielders Anderson Machado and Fernando Tatis, catchers Robinson Cancel and Salomon Manriquez and lefty pitcher Ryan Cullen to minor-league contracts.
This might be my all time favorite line I have ever read here. Had me laughing all day yesterday.
__________________
"Being with a woman all night never hurt no professional baseball player. It's staying up all night looking for a woman that does him in."- Casey Stengel
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share this post on Facebook!  Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 01-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
graves9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
I'm sure Neito was already on the payroll. These owners can't decide if they want to run the team like the Yanks or the Twins. Another penny pinching move.
Geez. It is the freaking first base coach, who gives a fock?
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share this post on Facebook!  Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graves9 View Post
Geez. It is the freaking first base coach, who gives a fock?
My main objection is the fact that Oberkfell has been stuck as manager at triple A for several years. If we don't promote him, we very well could lose him. Plus it would give hope to other minor league managers in our system, that they may eventually be promoted to the majors, which is in fact the dream which keeps these guys plugging along year after year in the minors, it's not very glamorous or lucrative down there.
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share this post on Facebook!  Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
Old 01-09-2008, 07:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
MetfanBren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,202
Send a message via AIM to MetfanBren
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
My main objection is the fact that Oberkfell has been stuck as manager at triple A for several years. If we don't promote him, we very well could lose him. Plus it would give hope to other minor league managers in our system, that they may eventually be promoted to the majors, which is in fact the dream which keeps these guys plugging along year after year in the minors, it's not very glamorous or lucrative down there.
A lot of coaches would rather manage in AAA than sit in the bullpen spitting sunflower seeds 162 times a year. I've been wondering when Oberkfell would get a shot in the bigs as well, but it hasn't happened. I've not even heard his name in regard to interviews in quite a while...

I think promoting someone just to keep them around is a bit silly though. A lot of people thought Blake McGinley would get taken in the Rule 5 draft every year, but nobody wanted to give him 50 innings in the Met bullpen. Well some did, but they don't talk about him much anymore....
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share this post on Facebook!  Spurl this Post!Reddit! Wong this Post!
 
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's official! No.1 New Jersey Nets 2 12-15-2007 10:47 PM
Rickey on Rickey Neu-IndustrialMets57 Mets Archive 1 07-14-2007 06:20 PM
Rickey Rey-YES Mets Archive 10 06-22-2007 03:43 PM
"Rickey" Henderson's Blog Neu-IndustrialMets57 Mets Archive 3 05-24-2007 10:34 AM
It's official METSSC Mets Archive 24 05-24-2007 09:43 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:14 AM.


NY Sports Day
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002-2010 Sportsday Publishing, LLC
SEO by vBSEO 3.1.0

NY Sports Day is an independent sports website that is not affiliated with any other news organization. We are not endorsed by or affiliated with the New York Mets, New York Yankees, Major League Baseball, New York Giants, New York Jets, National Football League, New York Knicks, New Jersey Nets, NBA, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, New Jersey Devils, NHL, MSG NJSEA or any other professional sports association or franchise.

For further copyright information click here. For our Terms of Service click here. For our Privacy Statement click here. For the Mets Official Site click here. For the Yankees Official Site click here. For the Giants Official Site click here. For the Jets Official Site click here. For the Knicks Official Site click here. For the Nets Official Site click here. For the Rangers Official Site click here. For the Islanders Official Site click here. For the Devils Official Site click here. Hockey photos courtesy of Altered States Photos. Used By Permission. Baseball pictures taken by David Whitham. Courtesy of kcmets. Logo by Marcos Batista.



Sponsor

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138